Shipping a motorcycle how to arrange payment

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Ger42

Shipping a motorcycle how to arrange payment

Post by Ger42 »

I have a chance to sell my motorcycle to someone out of town how can the buyer and I both be comfortable about the exchange of his money and my motorcycle? Is there a service we can use?
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I'd say have him show up to a mutual meeting place with a truck or trailer. If it's somewhere out of state, there are auto shipping companies but I would tell him to pay up front.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Be careful, sounds like the classic scam where they send you a bogus payment.
Wizard78

Post by Wizard78 »

Be VERY careful with out of state buyers. Many scams around now-a-days. I just had someone wanting to buy my Springer but asked if I had a "vehicle report". Sounded very interested and said that he would drive over with cash if I showed him history of bike. Even suggested a website that gives out the reports similar to CARFAX. After careful digging, found that this is a common scam to get me to order a report for a small fee but at the same time, get my credit card info. Be vigilant and as suggested earlier, let them pay up front with waiting till funds clear bank. GLWS
"Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one."
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

If it is a legitimate sale, talk to your local dealer to see if they
have a shipping pallet that will fit that bike.
If they do, load it up and arrange for the shipping of the bike.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

for out of state payments i would only accept a bank wire !

for shipping, have the buyer check out https://www.uship.com

i have used them several times, once for a motorcycle.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Or find a trusting mule to do the delivery for you. Cash is king and most other methods can be voided by the bank a week or two later.
MadMan

Post by MadMan »

Gerry, be careful, it sounds like a scam. If you continue, make sure the funds are in your bank, cleared, then ship it.
MadMan

Post by MadMan »

Double tap
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Lastrites wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:12 am Or find a trusting mule to do the delivery for you. Cash is king and most other methods can be voided by the bank a week or two later.

a wire transfer can't be voided
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !