Shipping a motorcycle how to arrange payment

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Wire transfer is the way to go. Bank checks/certified checks can be forged. Between the time you deposit it and when it does/doesn't clear could be a week or more. PayPal can be reversed. Ebay Escrow is a scam.

Bigger question is, and what would set off my alarm bells, why would someone from "out of the area" be interested in your bike? I saw your ad. It's nothing unique or collectible and the price is about average. Why would someone be eager to ship something they can buy locally?
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
G_Loc

Post by G_Loc »

Are they padding their payment with a little extra cash for your troubles?

As others have pointed out, these scams that revolve around high dollar items and vehicles are getting increasingly complex. Might be best to wait for a local buyer.
joel

Post by joel »

Wizard78 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 pm Be VERY careful with out of state buyers. Many scams around now-a-days. I just had someone wanting to buy my Springer but asked if I had a "vehicle report". Sounded very interested and said that he would drive over with cash if I showed him history of bike. Even suggested a website that gives out the reports similar to CARFAX. After careful digging, found that this is a common scam to get me to order a report for a small fee but at the same time, get my credit card info. Be vigilant and as suggested earlier, let them pay up front with waiting till funds clear bank. GLWS
+1
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Slartibartfast wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:46 am
Lastrites wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:12 am Or find a trusting mule to do the delivery for you. Cash is king and most other methods can be voided by the bank a week or two later.

a wire transfer can't be voided
+1 But you have to be sure the wire transfer is complete and the money is in your account and out of the one it was sent from. May take a day or 2. Just make sure your financial institution tells you it's OK. In writing.

What can be and often is part of a scam is a payment by bogus cashiers check or certified check. I've got a couple of them in my files, one a very good inkjet copy of a American Express Bank certified check, another a cashiers no protest check on genuine check stock but from a CA credit union that apparently went bankrupt and was looted by the employees. I was suspicious about both, called, American Exp. Bank in NY said it was one of a series of copies and the account didn't exist. The credit union phone rang forever and I gave up. Never heard from either supposed buyer again.

A couple here sold their motor home to a foreign buyer, paid by certified check. Their bank told them the certified check had "cleared", but that only meant they'd transmitted it to a bank in Dubai or someplace. It bounced back in week, no funds, but the last they'd seen of the motor home it was being loaded on a freighter bound for the Middle East.
Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

He is in Jacksonville FL he is arranging shipping. I told him bank transfer we'll see what happens.
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

Ger42 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:09 pm He is in Jacksonville FL he is arranging shipping. I told him bank transfer we'll see what happens.
Jacksonville?......and you are in Broward Co ???

Shipping is his problem and I wouldn't do a thing until the buyer handed me payment in cash....
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

If his shipper is bonded, have him have the shipper pay you in cash if that is possible.
milsurp

Post by milsurp »

Villafuego wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:18 pm
Ger42 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:09 pm He is in Jacksonville FL he is arranging shipping. I told him bank transfer we'll see what happens.
Jacksonville?......and you are in Broward Co ???

Shipping is his problem and I wouldn't do a thing until the buyer handed me payment in cash....

I agree that the buyer could come to you with cash for the sale. I've traveled that far for deals here on the forum. Something just doesn't add up with this.
Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

He called it off. Seemed scared of being ripped off.
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

...or he was trying to scam you.