sharing CWP and driver's license risk

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
jollystriker

sharing CWP and driver's license risk

Post by jollystriker »

When making a face to face firearm transaction, is there any risk to sharing a copy of your driver's license or cwp?
1965mini

Post by 1965mini »

There are risks on both side of the transaction. If you feel unsure walk away.
George W

Post by George W »

I am happy to show my CWL and my DL to a seller. I will not give them copies, nor will I allow them to write down my info aside from my name and residence city. Anything beyond that isn't their business. I've walked away from a few deals, but rarely has anyone resisted my requirement for privacy.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

No.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

As a seller you are not required by law to keep a written copy of the buyer's information. ( as of now)

You are required to verify he/she is a Florida resident, of legal age and verbally ascertain he/she can legally own a firearm to which he/she is responsible to state there is no legal reason preventing them from obtaining a firearm. If they perjure themselves you are not responsible, they are

Doing more than is legally required does not make you safer and IMO makes you less safe as it ties you closer to that person and leaves you open to further investigation by LE you could have avoided by complying and not exceeding what the law states

It would have to be shown you intentionally sold a gun to someone you knew could not legally purchase the firearm. If you did knowingly sell to some who could not own a gun you deserve to be prosecuted but you do not have to make it easier for them to put you in jail

If you want to keep my personal information you don't want to sell me a gun
jollystriker

Post by jollystriker »

thank you to everyone for your response
AirForceShooter

Post by AirForceShooter »

George wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 pm I am happy to show my CWL and my DL to a seller. I will not give them copies, nor will I allow them to write down my info aside from my name and residence city. Anything beyond that isn't their business. I've walked away from a few deals, but rarely has anyone resisted my requirement for privacy.
That's my policy on either side of the transaction.
D/L proves residency.
CCW pretty much proves the buyer isn't a prohibited person.

AFS
Dr. Dickie

Post by Dr. Dickie »

George wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 pm I am happy to show my CWL and my DL to a seller. I will not give them copies, nor will I allow them to write down my info aside from my name and residence city. Anything beyond that isn't their business. I've walked away from a few deals, but rarely has anyone resisted my requirement for privacy.
I am the same way. They legally are supposed to verify that I am a resident of the State and should ask if I am prohibited or not. Beyond that, none of their business.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

AirForceShooter wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 am CCW pretty much proves the buyer isn't a prohibited person.

AFS
At the shows, plenty of people with a CCW still get a “non approval” on their background check. But most get cleared up within a few days. Even LE gets non approvals.
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

I'll show my CWL and DL, just no copies to or copying of - if they can't deal with that I'll walk. Period.
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.