sharing CWP and driver's license risk

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

rentprop1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:33 pm NO risk at all, but a damn good idea

My son has to deal with a court proceeding right now where he sold a firearm ( in his name ) to some old co-worker, ( US citizen, of age, all legal to the best of his knowledge ) , this back in 2016 so he couldn't remember the guys name, who probably sold it to someone else, yada, yada, yada...somewhere along the line, someone popped a convenience store clerk with it, 6 months ago it was recovered during a traffic stop with an illegal Mex gentleman in TX outside Houston. he's getting all kinds of grief from ATF about who he sold this gun too....like all of us, he buys and sells guns like changing underwear.......

telling them I sold it and I don't remember, so piss off...... isn't fairing out to be as easy as everyone thinks ....this ATF guy is up his ass about the chain of custody...who wants to go thru that hassle, keep good records ( take pictures ) so you don't have to deal with this B.S. and have some info to pass on the LE if this ever happens to you, get out of the loop......

This is another reason Universal Background checks is a good idea it protects your ass :mrgreen:
And as much as we’d all like to believe a quick look at ID is all that’s required to do a FTF sale, should this happen to you, telling the ATF “Oh, I sold that gun to a Spanish guy 3 years ago” is not going to make them go away. But even having the seller’s/buyer’s phone number can help. GARY.
tector

Post by tector »

Everyone has to make their own risk assessment on these issues--there is no right or wrong answer that applies to everyone equally, and the law should allow us all to do so. So I am against universal background checks, but under the current regime I am also very wary about selling any gun that is in my name (i.e. I bought it through an FFL) without some covering paperwork. When the government falls on you, it weighs a million tons. And these fuckers are just looking for excuses to fall on people to "make an example."
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

I had an incident years ago selling a firearm at a gun show. It was a S&W Sigma pistol bought at a local shop, sold about a year later. The buyer provided a Florida DL, I wrote down his name and number, then I asked if there was any reason he could not own this firearm, and he said No. A few months later ATF contacted me. That buyer was busted in NJ selling guns including mine from the trunk of his car. Turned out he was a resident of Puerto Rico, not FL. When I told ATF his DL looked like mine, so I thought that meant he was a FL resident, the ATF guy smiled and said No, PR residents can get the same DL as FL residents. Almost had to fly to PR to testify against him, but a few days before the trial he copped a plea.

So beware, a FL DL does not guarantee FL residency, and asking the responsible question may not keep you out of trouble. I was glad I could provide ATF the info I had from his DL, but they did not really need it since they already had him in custody.