sharing CWP and driver's license risk

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wizard78

Post by Wizard78 »

I used to just confirm for over 30 years that the person I was selling to was a Florida resident. I believed that it was up to the buyer to know if they were legally allowed to own a firearm. Lately with our sue happy society and lawyers jumping at the chance to sue when a firearm is used in a crime, shooting or burglary, I get some info unless I know the person. I don't want to have to explain to a jury what my interpretation is of Florida law. A CWL is the pass I look for. I recently cancelled a sale for an expensive handgun because the Texas buyer texted me in our conversation that he was going to let his "son" who is a Florida resident, buy the gun and give to him when they meet in a couple of months, so I wouldn't have to ship to a Texas dealer. I can't afford a lawyer to get me out of a straw purchase sting even though I'm not a dealer. Although there are a lot of people I know on this forum, there are also a lot that I don't know and wouldn't sell to without ID that I document. Sorry. Think hard about it and realize where our country has gone and if you can afford a lawsuit. It's become a Cover My Ass matter.
"Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one."
tector

Post by tector »

Wizard78 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:40 am I used to just confirm for over 30 years that the person I was selling to was a Florida resident. I believed that it was up to the buyer to know if they were legally allowed to own a firearm. Lately with our sue happy society and lawyers jumping at the chance to sue when a firearm is used in a crime, shooting or burglary, I get some info unless I know the person. I don't want to have to explain to a jury what my interpretation is of Florida law. A CWL is the pass I look for. I recently cancelled a sale for an expensive handgun because the Texas buyer texted me in our conversation that he was going to let his "son" who is a Florida resident, buy the gun and give to him when they meet in a couple of months, so I wouldn't have to ship to a Texas dealer. I can't afford a lawyer to get me out of a straw purchase sting even though I'm not a dealer. Although there are a lot of people I know on this forum, there are also a lot that I don't know and wouldn't sell to without ID that I document. Sorry. Think hard about it and realize where our country has gone and if you can afford a lawsuit. It's become a Cover My Ass matter.
Well also the change in administrations plays into that. I am sure it is going to be the policy of Biden/Harris/Gross to strictly enforce all federal gun laws (and that is what we talking about). So you can expect no mercy or benefit of the doubt right now--no prosecutorial discretion as it is called. They will just be on your ass from minute one. So while everyone is free to choose on this subject, I can't blame anyone opting for maximum comfort on either side of the transaction.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
George W

Post by George W »

tector wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:49 am
Wizard78 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:40 am I used to just confirm for over 30 years that the person I was selling to was a Florida resident. I believed that it was up to the buyer to know if they were legally allowed to own a firearm. Lately with our sue happy society and lawyers jumping at the chance to sue when a firearm is used in a crime, shooting or burglary, I get some info unless I know the person. I don't want to have to explain to a jury what my interpretation is of Florida law. A CWL is the pass I look for. I recently cancelled a sale for an expensive handgun because the Texas buyer texted me in our conversation that he was going to let his "son" who is a Florida resident, buy the gun and give to him when they meet in a couple of months, so I wouldn't have to ship to a Texas dealer. I can't afford a lawyer to get me out of a straw purchase sting even though I'm not a dealer. Although there are a lot of people I know on this forum, there are also a lot that I don't know and wouldn't sell to without ID that I document. Sorry. Think hard about it and realize where our country has gone and if you can afford a lawsuit. It's become a Cover My Ass matter.
Well also the change in administrations plays into that. I am sure it is going to be the policy of Biden/Harris/Gross to strictly enforce all federal gun laws (and that is what we talking about). So you can expect no mercy or benefit of the doubt right now--no prosecutorial discretion as it is called. They will just be on your ass from minute one. So while everyone is free to choose on this subject, I can't blame anyone opting for maximum comfort on either side of the transaction.
Honestly, at that point, people might as well use an FFL. Sure, that's what the left is looking for with "universal background checks", but a lot of us prefer to not have a paper trail as a matter of privacy.
tector

Post by tector »

Some people do just do FFL transactions--it takes all kinds.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

tector wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:20 pm Some people do just do FFL transactions--it takes all kinds.
The problem with that is since gun sales are so brisk, background checks have been taking 3+ hours. A few weeks ago, at Ira’s booth, some people had been waiting for hours. So his wife Joanne called the FDLE at 4 PM to ask what’s the problem. They told her that they were now just getting to the checks submitted at noon, 4 hours before. I just did a deal with a guy, & said we’d look at each other’s DL, & CWP. Well we met, & after chatting with him for a half hour, and he pulled up in his Sheriff’s car, nobody even thought about looking at ID. He’s MAGNUS DUX, so don’t think twice about doing a deal with him. Great guy. GARY
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

NO risk at all, but a damn good idea

My son has to deal with a court proceeding right now where he sold a firearm ( in his name ) to some old co-worker, ( US citizen, of age, all legal to the best of his knowledge ) , this back in 2016 so he couldn't remember the guys name, who probably sold it to someone else, yada, yada, yada...somewhere along the line, someone popped a convenience store clerk with it, 6 months ago it was recovered during a traffic stop with an illegal Mex gentleman in TX outside Houston. he's getting all kinds of grief from ATF about who he sold this gun too....like all of us, he buys and sells guns like changing underwear.......

telling them I sold it and I don't remember, so piss off...... isn't fairing out to be as easy as everyone thinks ....this ATF guy is up his ass about the chain of custody...who wants to go thru that hassle, keep good records ( take pictures ) so you don't have to deal with this B.S. and have some info to pass on the LE if this ever happens to you, get out of the loop......

This is another reason Universal Background checks is a good idea it protects your ass :mrgreen:
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

I for one refuse to allow someone to make photocopies of my DL and CWP . I will happily show it, and you can see it's me and that I'm licensed, but no copies, no way no how. Having had my ID compromised twice in the last 5 years , once by a fed gov't agency (thanks, OPM!!) and once by a physician's office , I supply minimal info to anyone. Hell, I might have even began giving bogus SSNs and DOB to Dr's office after the last ID theft :lol: .
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

lighteye wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:07 pm Hell, I might have even began giving bogus SSNs and DOB to Dr's office after the last ID theft :lol: .
I actually did that once. Not 30 seconds after handing in the info at my doctor they said “Sir, the number isn’t correct. Would you like to verify your info”. Somehow they knew, & that was my first visit to that doctor. And after blaming the error on me not having reading glasses, & giving the correct info, she said “thanks. That’s the correct number”. GARY
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

I have refused to give my SSN to doctors office and similar. If they don't have a legal reason to be involved with your SS account, the gov says you don't have to give it. Banks and employers yes, doctors not so much. No doctors office ever argued with my refusal, but the local public library (little old lady in a bothered tone) said "Well then we don't have to give you a library card." After a few seconds, I caved and got my free reads.
tector

Post by tector »

rentprop1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:33 pm NO risk at all, but a damn good idea

My son has to deal with a court proceeding right now where he sold a firearm ( in his name ) to some old co-worker, ( US citizen, of age, all legal to the best of his knowledge ) , this back in 2016 so he couldn't remember the guys name, who probably sold it to someone else, yada, yada, yada...somewhere along the line, someone popped a convenience store clerk with it, 6 months ago it was recovered during a traffic stop with an illegal Mex gentleman in TX outside Houston. he's getting all kinds of grief from ATF about who he sold this gun too....like all of us, he buys and sells guns like changing underwear.......

telling them I sold it and I don't remember, so piss off...... isn't fairing out to be as easy as everyone thinks ....this ATF guy is up his ass about the chain of custody...who wants to go thru that hassle, keep good records ( take pictures ) so you don't have to deal with this B.S. and have some info to pass on the LE if this ever happens to you, get out of the loop......

This is another reason Universal Background checks is a good idea it protects your ass :mrgreen:
Sorry to hear this, sir. As I said I can only imagine things getting worse now. Hope your son gets clear of this.