Question for you Farm Guys...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Question for you Farm Guys...

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

The city's runoff is backing up into my yard during heavy rain. There is a dip in the road next to my property which continues onto my property. So basically, the roadway is acting like a chute towards my yard.

I've asked the city to remedy the problem and they say "It's a county-maintained road...not our problem". I contacted the county and they said "Go talk to the city...it's their storm drain system that's not correct". :cry:

So...instead of fighting city hall, I'm going to send their water back to them. I'll build a well/cistern at the lowest point in my yard, submerge a pump, bury a 2" ~ 3" discharge pipe and push the water about 75' away to the next city storm drain down the line.

Question is, when looking at pumps, I'm not sure what kind to get. Effluent pump? Grinder pump? Dirty water pump? Trash pump? Well pump? And what size? Well will be about 3' deep and water will be pushed slightly uphill for 75'.

:?: :?:
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

If you have a decent grate on your sump, you could likely use a standard float-switch activated sump pump. Of course, you will need to run power to your sump...

I applaud your innovative thinking, but you could be investing a bunch of time and money in something that the City could easily rip out on a whim. You'd be working in their right-of-way, and any stormwater department field crew that discovers your system has the ability report it and have it torn out.

What City are you dealing with? There's other ways to go about getting them to fix their problem. The first thing to do is get the names of the field supervisors for both entities, then get their bosses' names. Keep going up the chain to the City/County commissions if necessary, but you need to get both of them out at the site at the same time.

The passing-of-the-buck may be SOP, but it is not legal. The entity that maintains the road is responsible for the runoff from the road. If the City's storm drain system is preventing the County's road from draining, then the issue is between those two entities. Take it to the top if you need to.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
photohause

Post by photohause »

Pumps won't work, use a sling back
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Hey Tenzing...
Build a wall! Or better yet, a DAM wall!
Let the water pile up on their right-of-way, force them to address it...
Fuuuuuuuuuuuggem!!
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Call your city commissioner and your county commissioner and complain to both.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Hell with that—call Trump and ask him to BUILD THAT WALL and Make Your Yard Great Again! 🤣
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

why do you need advice farm a farm guy ?? anyone with a swimming pool could answer this question.

in a month when its not raining , you'll be back here crying how your grass is brown and dry

concrete the entire thing in, so you don't feel bad parking on your lawn

I know none of this help :mrgreen:
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

flcracker wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:34 pm I applaud your innovative thinking, but you could be investing a bunch of time and money in something that the City could easily rip out on a whim. You'd be working in their right-of-way, and any stormwater department field crew that discovers your system has the ability report it and have it torn out.
It will be completely contained on my property. The next storm drain up the block sits at the corner of my property. I'd only be lifting the water from the low spot to the "high" spot, where it would run down their drain.

The previous owner fought with them for 15 yrs. and nothing was done. Then he died. I'm not wasting one more minute on the proper channels.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

rentprop1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 pm why do you need advice farm a farm guy ?? anyone with a swimming pool could answer this question.

in a month when its not raining , you'll be back here crying how your grass is brown and dry

concrete the entire thing in, so you don't feel bad parking on your lawn
I figger country-folk would have experience with pumping muddy water. Looking online, there's 10 different types of pumps.

I'd like to install a gravel parking pad in this part of the yard. Don't want it to turn into a mud-pit.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Sounds like a good plan, good luck and get ‘er done. Bureaucrats and their bureaucracy can kiss our asses!