Golf cart batteries around Tampa

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Droknows

Golf cart batteries around Tampa

Post by Droknows »

I’m looking to pick up a golf cart this weekend but it needs batteries. Don’t really want Trojans or something high end as I’ll prob only be keeping it for a short time before moving onto something else. Square Deal quoted me $52 each with exchange. Is that about as good as it’s gonna get?
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Yes that is a good deal. I have had golf carts for 20 years. Brand new batteries are 600+. Reconditioned batteries with trade ins are 50 each here in south florida.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

If you don't mind me asking a question since the topic of golf carts have come up...

I'm looking to get one in about 6 months when we move to a home we're building. I'm not looking for expensive/fancy. Just a very basic model with a roof. What is available new/used that's good on the low end of the price market? Can you get something for say 2k that's decent? Anything to watch out for or be aware of while looking?
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Deputydave wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:15 am If you don't mind me asking a question since the topic of golf carts have come up...

I'm looking to get one in about 6 months when we move to a home we're building. I'm not looking for expensive/fancy. Just a very basic model with a roof. What is available new/used that's good on the low end of the price market? Can you get something for say 2k that's decent? Anything to watch out for or be aware of while looking?
You can get a basic 4 passenger one for under
2k from a private person. From a business it will cost more. If you can get one with the aluminum frame is better. I have bought them from 1k to to 1300 with good batteries and a charger. Just always make sure you buy it with a charger and batteries, even if they are bad it doesnt matter. You can exchange them for reconditioned batteries. You can get 2-3 years from reconditioned batteries that saves you half the cost.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Thank you for the info :)
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Those reconditioned batteries, how well do they typically hold up?

I’ve been looking for a used AGM/Deep Cycle battery for a small backup / off grid solar generator system.

Assuming you didn’t discharge below 50% would those batteries still have a few years of service left in them?

I see 2-3 years for golf cart loads, do you think general standby/minor usage you could get 5-8 out of them?
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

Droknows wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:26 am ...Don’t really want Trojans or something high end as I’ll prob only be keeping it for a short time...
Trojan, like Interstate, runs the entire range from top-of-the-line to cheap crap. I've bought $40 Trojan Golf Cart batteries that didn't even have a seal between the top and the sides of the case. I had to be very careful carrying them to prevent electrolyte from sloshing over the sides. That was okay, because I was using them for ham radio back-up power, but they would not have been any good for a golf cart at all.
Chinerd00

Post by Chinerd00 »

Get a lithium ion converter kit and be alot happier.