Over 50? Go Get A Shingles Shot! DO IT!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
TC6969

Over 50? Go Get A Shingles Shot! DO IT!

Post by TC6969 »

My pharmacy offered me one about 8 months ago, and I laughed it off!

I figured, If I get some little rash, I'll just put some calamine on it and walk it off!

Last Wednesday, I was crawling around in the grass taking macros, and the next morning, I had some little bumps on my right inner bicep.

I just wrote it off as bug bites and went on with my day.

The next day, it was doubled in size, but not red or painful, so I continued to treat it like a bug bite.

I woke up Saturday morning and it had spread into my underarm, down my rib cage, around my back and across my chest.

It was bright red, covered with blisters and hurt like a MoFo!

Doctor said it was the worst case of shingles he had ever seen and it might take weeks to months before I'm back to normal.

If you are offered a shingles vaccine, TAKE IT! You're not as tough as you think you are!
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

A friend of mine got it on his face and in his eye, he was absolutely miserable for several weeks. I got the two-dose Shingrix vaccine last year so I should be good for the next 3-4 years.
Last edited by osprey21 on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

I was just offered the Chinese Virus vaccine and politely declined it.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I've been meaning to get the shingles shot. Of course, now that Publix pharmacies have the covid jungle juice, they'll probably try to push that.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I got the Shingles shots a few years ago.

A few months later, I started to get double vision, and it really sucked. I had to close one eye to drive, watch TV, use a computer, whatever. I go to the eye doctor and diagnoses it as a form a Bell's Palsy that impacts one of the nerves that controls the eyeball so it could not move the same way as the other working eye. Was annoying as hell. He hoped it would go away by itself and fortuneately, it did after some months. Or I would have been disabled.

Then a few months later the wife is sitting with me at the kitchen table. Notices my face is drooping and I am drooling. Call 911 and off to the emergency room as they thought I had a stroke. Nope, Bell's Palsy. I was really lucky and managed to get rid of most of the symptoms after a few months. Some never come back.

Go back to the doc and tell him what happened. He raises a eyebrow and wonders if all three are connected. But he would not say anything more as he recommended the Shingles shot and I think he did not want a malpractice lawsuit?

So Caveat Emptor!
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

:shock:

Looks like I have some homework to do.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

My brother got a bad case of it with him ending up in the hospital for a couple of days, sure put a damper on him for several weeks recouping. Fortunately for him he works from home drawing for a comic book outfit so he was able to work at least.
photohause

Post by photohause »

Topical - apply Original Listerine Mouthwash
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

photohause wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:05 pm Topical - apply Original Listerine Mouthwash
I've been using Witch Hazel , which is pretty much the same thing.

Seems to help.
ss1

Post by ss1 »

I never had chicken pox as a kid and got it in my mid 20’s after my buddy got a case of shingles. It was terrible and I spent a few nights in the pool cooling off from the fever and itchy blisters. Make sure you stay away from anyone who never had chicken pox.