Is this a roofing scam???

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

A couple years back we had to replace our roof because a hurricane in 2018 (Michael?) blew off some shingles on the ridges. Even though this house had a new roof put on in 2011 (prev owner), several inspectors said we needed a new roof again 7 years later. The shingles were dry and cracking, so maybe prev owner got cheated with old stock? So I got 4 bids and started an insurance claim in early 2019.

A few weeks later, a spring storm with small hail punched holes in our pool screen and damaged many roofs in our neighborhood. Almost all those guys got a nearly free roof, because of the hail damage. But because I had already started my claim and it was due to a hurricane, I had to pay the first $8,000 as hurricane deductible.

If you can't say which storm damaged your roof, I don't see how the insurance would know which deductible applies. Seems they might not cover it unless you can say which specific storm damaged it. A leaky roof may not be an insured event, simply maintenance.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I am impossible to insure- no hydrants, no local fire department. Unless the house does a 'Wizard of Oz', I'm not filing a claim. Did my roof last year, quotes were $14k for a standard re roof and $25k for metal.
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

Five years ago, metal was $400 more than top grade asphalt shingle to do our roof, 1350 square feet with a single dormer. The rep told us that metal was less labor for their crews. This was a $6,000 job in metal and included an allowance for decking repairs that were barely needed.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE »

Does your roof leak? Does it look like it is damaged? If so you might want to consider having a Licensed contractor look at it.
Most competent, licensed contractor's are so busy they don't don't need to solicit work.
BIG JOE
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

About 4 years ago I paid to have my roof replaced after my insurance company said they would cancel me if I didn't replace my 18 year old roof that had a 30 year warranty (was having zero issues with the roof). About six months after I replaced mine a "roofing inspector", inspected many of my neighbors roofs, told them they had hail damage and that he could get their insurance to replace them and all they would have to pay is their deductible if they went with the company he recommended. All the neighbors took him up on the offer and had quality roofs installed. Their insurance wasn't canceled and rates weren't raised any more than mine were when I fully paid for my roof replacement. Wish I knew about insurance replacing it before I paid for mine...