Buy/Sell in a "post" Armslist world?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
MiamiOffshore

Buy/Sell in a "post" Armslist world?

Post by MiamiOffshore »

Armslist essentially went "paid members only" thereby killing a large portion of traffic/volume on both the buyer & seller side.

So what site(s) is/are everyone using now the aforementioned site has castrated itself?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

FSN
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

MiamiOffshore wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:08 pm Armslist essentially went "paid members only" thereby killing a large portion of traffic/volume on both the buyer & seller side.

So what site(s) is/are everyone using now the aforementioned site has castrated itself?
I'm using GunBroker. I've found everything I was looking for and was able to get it, reasonably priced. And they even have some protections for buyers. It's not perfect (they retain a cut of what you paid... but you get some of it back). But, like Armslist, vet the seller first!
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

MiamiOffshore wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:08 pm Armslist essentially went "paid members only" thereby killing a large portion of traffic/volume on both the buyer & seller side.

The sellers on Armslist, the smart ones, put contact information in the post. Yeah, suitably camouflaged so bots don't pick it up. If one has a lot to sell, pay a month, and ditto with the contact info. I can whine, or I can figure a way around. Yes, one needs be careful, lots of scammers everywhere. If I posted a WTB on Armslist, I'd get all kinds of answers from people "willing to ship."

Another site is Florida gun trader. Free, though they ask for $1.50 for each post to support the site. That, can be unchecked, though. I usually pay a commission instead, as a donation if I sell something. Scammers, too. But, they have an interesting feature called "infosniper". It's target shaped symbol near the id of the poster; clicking on it reveals the IP address. Someone claiming to be in Tampa shows up as New Orleans, leads to some questions.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

REDinFL wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:39 pm

The sellers on Armslist, the smart ones, put contact information in the post. Yeah, suitably camouflaged so bots don't pick it up. If one has a lot to sell, pay a month, and ditto with the contact info. I can whine, or I can figure a way around. Yes, one needs be careful, lots of scammers everywhere. If I posted a WTB on Armslist, I'd get all kinds of answers from people "willing to ship."

Another site is Florida gun trader. Free, though they ask for $1.50 for each post to support the site. That, can be unchecked, though. I usually pay a commission instead, as a donation if I sell something. Scammers, too. But, they have an interesting feature called "infosniper". It's target shaped symbol near the id of the poster; clicking on it reveals the IP address. Someone claiming to be in Tampa shows up as New Orleans, leads to some questions.
FGT has gotten pretty rough with questionable (and offensive) listings, but its pretty much one of the only local sites with decent traffic.

My biggest issue with FGT (and ARMSLIST, when I used it) was that nobody ever messaged me back when I tried to buy something.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

You're right. FGT is getting worse, but it's claim to existence is it's not the current Armslist. It's true I sometimes see stuff on there that's not here or Armslist, but it's getting old.

As far as the non-reply issue, it's true. Actually, a symptom of contemporary so-called society: an arrogant indifference, world spins on my ass attitude. As a teacher a long time ago asked ill-mannered kids, "Where were you dragged up?"

I'd rather do anything on FSN than anyplace else. There are people on here, to whom I'd gladly send something they wanted, without a second thought, and tell them, "If you like it send me a check; if you don't like it, send it back. Won't do that on other sites.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

The only advantage to having scammers on florida gun trader is that they are artificially keeping prices low by offering their bargains. But I'd rather sell or buy on FSN any day of the week.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I never thought of it that way, but, you have a point.

Yes, FSN whenever I can.
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

NorincoKid wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:13 pm
REDinFL wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:39 pm

FGT has gotten pretty rough with questionable (and offensive) listings, but its pretty much one of the only local sites with decent traffic.

My biggest issue with FGT (and ARMSLIST, when I used it) was that nobody ever messaged me back when I tried to buy something.
9 out of 10 adds on fgt are scams. if you find something reasonably priced it's almost certainly a scam.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Molivo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:28 pm
9 out of 10 adds on fgt are scams. if you find something reasonably priced it's almost certainly a scam.
It's almost always the ones that have a new join date that you need to be extremely leary of. There have been some decent deals from legit sellers but its just weeding them out from the Nigerian fake advertisements.