Soliciting gutter replacement opinions

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Odessaman

Soliciting gutter replacement opinions

Post by Odessaman »

Looking to replace the gutters and three downspouts across the front of our house. I know we want aluminum for the cost and color options, but not sure whether we should be looking for seamless or conventional gutters. We're going to have gutter guards installed, because the big oak trees in the front yard constantly clog the existing gutters with leaves and twigs - which is what causes them to need replacing.

Any significant advantage to one kind over the other, and what approximate cost per linear foot should we expect?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Seamless, always.

I received a quote for $900...typical 1500 s/f ranch house.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Taco

Post by Taco »

Buisness is good... took me calls to 13 companies to get 2 companies to give me quotes.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Seamless. Otherwise, in a few years you will notice mildewy drips at the joints and will wish you had gone with seamless.

Talk with the contractors about the attachment method they use. You want the metal clips that screw to your drip edge, not the big spikes they hammer into your fascia boards.

If you have any really long runs, ask them about high-centering the run so water doesn't pool in the middle. Sagging spots stay wet and breed mosquitoes.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Good info - thanks, all.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

As the others have stated, seamless is the only way to go.

Regarding the gutter guards, I never had them myself, but every single person I knew that did have them eventually ripped them out as they suck. Birds and other critters love to make nests in them and they just don't work as fine $hit gets in there anyway and eventually clogs them.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Flame Red wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:45 am As the others have stated, seamless is the only way to go.

Regarding the gutter guards, I never had them myself, but every single person I knew that did have them eventually ripped them out as they suck. Birds and other critters love to make nests in them and they just don't work as fine $hit gets in there anyway and eventually clogs them.
I understand some guards have an access where you can periodically flush the gutter with a hose. Right now, I could clean my gutters every other week and they’d still fill up with leaves in areas within days. Our oaks are tall enough that just trimming branches back won’t help - our roof design creates a natural leaf trap that funnels them right down to the gutters.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

For a heavy leaf load like you're describing, insist on the larger commercial size seamless gutter rather than the standard residential size. The extra width will be much more efficient at flushing the leaves and roof shingle grit that will still get past your gutter guards, and when you eventually do have to remove the guards to clean the gutters by hand it will give you the extra room you need to avoid slicing up your wrists.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)