Fire Mission For Feb. 1, 2021 at FL Capitol

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Miami_JBT

Fire Mission For Feb. 1, 2021 at FL Capitol

Post by Miami_JBT »

CONCEALED CARRY BILL IS BEING PUBLICLY HEARD ON FEB. 1, 2021

The Florida Senate Judiciary Committee Added Concealed Carry to the Committee Agenda

Click here to send a pre-written email to the Judiciary Committee that urges them to vote in favor of SB 498.

The Chair of the Judiciary Committee has added Senate Bill 498
(Concealed Carry at Religious Institutions) to the committee’s agenda for Monday.

What does this mean? It means that this bill will take its first step to be voted on. The public is allowed comment and show their support for this bill.

That means GOA members like you can voice your approval at the hearing!

As the State Director, I will be there to speak in support of this bill and to outright demand that gun free zones be repealed. But GOA is stronger when its members show up and speak as one loud unified voice promoting liberty and freedom.

As a Second Amendment Activist, Here is What You Need To Do!

First and foremost, you must complete a Committee Appearance Form. Without this, you cannot speak before the committee.

You must arrive at the Civic Center early. With the way the Senate functions, being early is on time and being on time is late. Why? Because if you don’t turn in your Committee Appearance Form prior to the start of the hearing, you will not be allowed to speak.

Time is always rationed to speakers, so have a concise and orderly plan of action. Have your speaking points organized and ready to go. Remember, be polite but firm on your stance.

Your talking points should be based on the following:

1. Floridians have the right to practice their religious beliefs and be able to defend those beliefs. Just because a religious institution also has a school on its property, shouldn’t bar you from legally protecting yourself.

2. The best solution is to amend this bill so it just outright repeals all the Gun Free Zones currently listed under State Statute 790.06 (12)(a.

3. As tragically proven by the shootings at the Pittsburgh Synagogue and the Sutherland Springs Church in Texas, criminals will attack good people in places of worship. No law that forbids concealed carry at these locations stops criminals from committing violence against honest people; and anyone who thinks it will is either lying or delusional.

Show up on Feb. 1, 2021

Due to COVID-19, the hearing will be at Room A3 of FSU’s Donald L. Tucker Civic Center located at 505 Pensacola Street, Tallahassee, FL 32301. The hearing starts at 2:30pm and is scheduled to go until 5:00pm.

Here are the parking instructions for the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center.

GOA has pledged and sworn to defend the Constitution, but we can’t do it without you. We are simply a tool to amplify your voice in Tallahassee.

Remember folks, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be loud, be proud, and be ACTIVE.

Click here to send a pre-written email to the Judiciary Committee that urges them to vote in favor of SB 498.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Not sure I understand...religious institutions are not currently a "prohibited place".

What does this bill accomplish?
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:22 pm Not sure I understand...religious institutions are not currently a "prohibited place".

Some schools are co-located with churches (i.e. Catholic school and church on same property, Jewish school and synagogue, etc).
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

tcpip95 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:09 am
Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:22 pm Not sure I understand...religious institutions are not currently a "prohibited place".

Some schools are co-located with churches (i.e. Catholic school and church on same property, Jewish school and synagogue, etc).
From what I'm reading in the bill text, that doesn't seem to change. Schools remain prohibited. All this bill does is allow religious institutions to prohibit concealed carry by means of signage.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Done and done

Thanks for the heads up

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I read the bill as well. I see nothing in it to clarify the “school on church grounds” issue. Would have been nice if it had. Can’t see how it changes anything in its current form. Seems like a huge waste of good effort.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Jimmy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:22 am I read the bill as well. I see nothing in it to clarify the “school on church grounds” issue. Would have been nice if it had. Can’t see how it changes anything in its current form. Seems like a huge waste of good effort.
Yep. Unless there's something in the "legalise" we're missing.
jr81452

Post by jr81452 »

It also changes 790.06(15)b to read:

(b) A person licensed under this section may shall not be
prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for
lawful purposes.

Can't say I'm pleased with watering down the language here. Changing shall to may would allow places to prohibit you keeping a firearm in the car. I had a friend who was fired from his job for leaving his gun in the car while he was at work, before we got that law in place. Not interested in going back to that.

The new language for churches COULD allow you to carry at a school on church property. But it WILL allow churches to block you from carrying at all if they want to post a sign.

Why is GOA pushing for this bill? It seems like a Trojan horse.
Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities - Voltaire

Zealot: noun 1. a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

jr81452 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 pm
The new language for churches COULD allow you to carry at a school on church property.
This is what I was interpreting it to mean; that if a school was co-located on the same property as the church it would not make it illegal to have a firearm on the property.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

tcpip95 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:26 pm
jr81452 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 pm
The new language for churches COULD allow you to carry at a school on church property.
This is what I was interpreting it to mean; that if a school was co-located on the same property as the church it would not make it illegal to have a firearm on the property.
Yeah, but that's not what it says... :cry: