When does FL require sales tax be collected on internet sales?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
joel

Post by joel »

p7fl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:10 pm
joel wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:19 am
p7fl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:58 am I have gotten hooked on downloading Kindle books since Covid. No tax. How does one make sense of that ?
Kindle books are not tangible property
I looked up a past order for tax software and there was no state tax on that either.
thx
I believe, and I may be wrong, but software is tax free, but if you elect to get the CD, then it's taxable.
Downloading the software = no tax.... ask for it on a CD = taxable event

That's my opinion.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Just an update for April 1st and Gunbroker.

On April 1, 2021, GunBroker.com will be adding to the list of MPF states. In addition to the original 8 states GunBroker.com will collect and remit sales tax for an additional 36 states based on the address where the item is delivered (Ship To address).

Complete list:

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
FLORIDA
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

All sellers, even individuals that are not businesses, are required to collect sales tax to meet the regulations. GunBroker.com will assist you with the calculation, collection and remittance of the sales tax due.

GunBroker.com will calculate the sales tax required and add it to the order during the checkout process. The tax calculation will be based on the Ship To address on the order. This is the location of the Buyer not the location of the Seller.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Well, at least I'm pretty much done with my GunBroker buys for now... We'll see about the future.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

I sold an item in GB to someone in NJ, and the sales tax showed up on my monthly GB statement.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

flcracker wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:51 am I sold an item in GB to someone in NJ, and the sales tax showed up on my monthly GB statement.
I sold something on Gunbroker, and it hit me for taxes too.

What was odd is, they invoiced me for the listing fees/final value fee and taxes separately.

It automatically hit my card for the monthly fees, no problems.

When it tried to hit my card for the “taxes” it failed, says it must be a credit card, not a Visa Debit card or something.

I don’t know why I can use my card to pay THEIR fees but can’t use the same card for the taxes I have to “middle man” for them.

Dunno.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I currently have a non paying bidder who defaulted on a $2399 Ed Brown pistol, not only am I waiting on the refund of the auction fees, but Gb wants to tag me for $172 in tax ( that I also didn't collect ) and then have me wait for 60 + days a refund after the dispute process :shock: , if I didn't have 19 other auction going right now I would yank all my banking and CC info and tell them to bill me after they get it figured out
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Help me understand as I have not used GB in years.

Why does GB bill the seller for sales tax? Every other "retailer" collects the sales tax from the buyer, not the seller. Or does GB include the sales tax in the total the buyer pays and the sales tax flows to the seller and then the seller has to pay GB the sales tax.

Is it a scheme for GB to collect higher fees as they now include the sales tax in their fee calculation? :roll:
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

buyer pays sales tax, Gunbroker is whats called a Marketplace Facilitator and thus collecting the tax on the sale, so if the buyer pays via money order or cashiers check Gb never sees the money and bills the seller, if the buyer uses the GB checkout (their credit processing) they snatch the money out and tell you what they collected

Gb fees are charged on the auction price before shipping, handling and tax

since you haven't used it in years, either just deal with it or complain like the rest of the people who don't use it currently, and understand, follow or know which way is up :mrgreen: , we will soon see all the rants from them in here as well.