Legality of shipping a long gun in state

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I can only speak to my own experience, but I bought a rifle in-state off ArmsList and had it shipped within a week USPS no problems whatsoever to my door.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

There's never a problem on the receiver's side, as the receiver does not go to the post office. When there is a problem, it's on the sender's side. GARY
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

It's legal to ship it. I actually contacted ATF once about this and the they said it's fine. Any transaction completed within in state, whether by shipping or in person is considered face to face.
srqsteve

Post by srqsteve »

Thanks to all for your input!! Have a great weekend!
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Under 922, it's illegal not to disclose to the carrier that you are using them to transport a firearm. Slapping on a label and dropping it off can get you in deep shit.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

zeebaron wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:24 pm Under 922, it's illegal not to disclose to the carrier that you are using them to transport a firearm. Slapping on a label and dropping it off can get you in deep shit.
also the real problem arises when they lose it or you need to file an insurance claim on it, especially if you haven't declared what is in the box , they always deny the claim.

now notifying them could be murmuring under your breath " hey its a gun ", law also says box shall bear no marking that it includes a firearm , so its a 2 way street
photohause

Post by photohause »

I have shipped many tripods.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Gmountain wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:48 am It's legal to ship it. I actually contacted ATF once about this and the they said it's fine. Any transaction completed within in state, whether by shipping or in person is considered face to face.
But...you have to convince this guy. Remember, in addition to the Postal code, he's well versed at ATF regs., the U.S. Code and Constitutional law... :roll:

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
TheKernel

Post by TheKernel »

I fought with my local usps a few years ago. Even had printed the regulations to show them. The manager told me they could not ship it but that she would research it and call me back. I was not expecting a call back but she did about 2 hours later telling me that I was right and to bring it back. She put a note on their bulletin to educate everyone else at that location.
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

Done it many times. They normally dont ask what it is.

Then you get the clerk that asks "is the firing pin removed?" I of course said YES.