Shipping black powder revolver to Poland

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

George wrote:
Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:57 pm
indy1919a4 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:53 pm

400 dollars to ship, how did they justify this??
He overnighted it... Image
I just Air Freighted 500 kilos of machine parts from Denmark to Lakeland via Miami last month for a little over $1500. No clue how USPS justified $400 for a 2 kilo max package.
UPS, not USPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

UPDATE

some of you were interested how it goes shipping this black powder revolver to Poland so here's what's going on:

package got dropped off on 12/31 in a local UPS store; 3 or 4 days later it showed up in Louisville, Ky out of all the places and got held up by customs because apparently I forgot to include the invoice with prices etc. kind lady called me, then emailed me a blank form to fill out. I was kind of scared of putting a word firearm or anything like that, but I decided F it; so I declared 3 items in the package, I got my father a set of fish knives, an LED motorcycle lamp I dont need, and finally I declared Antique Pistol Replica (NOT a firearm) spelled out on the form exactly as here. I put a price of $100 on it; my father in law will have to pay customs taxes so I didn't want him to have to dish out too much (he and his wife are both retired and living off of Polish gov retirement so they dont exactly swim in money if you know what I mean). few hours later I got another update from UPS that the matter has been resolved and the shipping will resume. later that day or next day package arrived in Philadelphia, PA and then this morning departed from Philly. I assume it's on a flight to Poland. tracking says it will be delivered in 5 days.

so the good news here is that it appears to have passed US customs which I was most worried about! btw I did not include any powder, bullets, caps, or anything like that, only the pistol itself and a small cleaning kit in a tube. now I hope Polish customs let's it in.

according to both US and Polish law that revolver is not legally considered a firearm and can be purchased without any permits in both countries. I'll keep you guys updated...

I specifically avoided using USPS and by extension Polish mail service; I was afraid those services would block the package due to it being a "gun"...
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

UPDATE 2

I got 3 updates on the package today in the following order:

1) Arrived at Facility, Warsaw, Poland
2) Import Scan, Warsaw, Poland
3) Warehouse Scan, Warsaw, Poland

So it looks like it had no issues clearing US Export Customs :) Once I get a notification that it left Warsaw I will be fairly certain it cleared Polish Customs as well, but of course I'll know for sure Monday when it's scheduled to be delivered. I'll let you know what happens!

I'll post detailed UPS updates shortly.

AP
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Cool test run! Now you can ship him a real pistol... :lol:
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote:Cool test run! Now you can ship him a real pistol... :lol:
Not so fast. It’s been held up in customs for a week now :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

FINAL UPDATE

After being held up in customs for 10 or so days I got a notification that import duty needs to be paid. The declared value of the package was $140, the tax + VAT ended up being around $77, so they basically taxed it at 50% :shock: I was able to pay this tax online through UPS website instead of burdening my father in law with it; that was yesterday. This morning I got a message from him saying it was delivered! So he now has a black powder revolver which was made in Italy, purchased in the USA, and finally shipped and delivered to Poland with no issues other than a long customs delay!

It would have been MUCH cheaper to send it USPS and polish government mail but I feared it would be held back or stolen. Maybe next one I'll send to him that way.

AP