2017 KTM 250 SX-F, good bike?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

2017 KTM 250 SX-F, good bike?

Post by armedpolak »

I'm looking at used 2017 KTM 250 SX-F (owner is asking $5700). The bike has 31 hours on the meter. I know nothing about dirt bikes...

Is this a reasonable deal? Is 31 hours a lot on a dirt bike? Owner looks like she's really serious into the sport, has 2 other KTM's, rides with her kids, etc etc... bike is 100% stock except has nicer plastics with stickers on it; originals are included in the deal.

Second bike I'm looking at is 2017 Yamaha WR250F, more trail than MX, with 1800 miles, for $6500. Also looks to me to be in great shape, but I haven't ridden either of the bikes myself... btw both start cold no issues.

Which one would you pick if money was not a concern? If it was?

Thanks!
AP
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Do you have a Yamaha or a KTM dealer any where near you?
Being able to get access to service would probably be the decider for me.
They're both good bikes.
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

I'd go with the KTM motocross bike.
You can always ride trails with an MX bike.
It would be a problem to race and be competitive on a WR ( wide ratio transmission) enduro bike if racing is in your future.

My bro had a KTM 520 and I thought it had great power and fine handling characteristics.
As good as it was, I still preferred my 1989 Honda CR500.
I like 2 strokes over the 4 strokes. I'm old school.

It sounds like a good deal.

Closely check small items like fork seals, rear shock linkage (no slop), bent out of round rims, loose spokes, dirty air filter, dirt on the lever controls etc. Put your hand on the engine, both cylinder and crankcase to be sure it wasn't started before you arrive to check it out.
Gotta be a cold start to see what shes REALLY LIKE !

Will you have a field to test drive it ?

Check for smoothness when shifting with no clutch after moving, clutch slippage, oil and coolant leaks.

Good luck !
Post some pics if you buy it.

Check out this link.

https://www.dirtrider.com/2017-ktm-250- ... mpression/

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."
"Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"

ROLL TIDE !
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Riding recreationally with your boy the Yamaha is a better choice.
Assuming they are both equally well cared for.
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

The KTM is a motocross bike....harsh suspension. That may take most of the fun out of it for you.
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

Lucy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:09 pm The KTM is a motocross bike....harsh suspension. That may take most of the fun out of it for you.
You setup any off-road bike for your weight and where you plan to ride it.

Soft suspension does not handle well.
Rider setup suspension does.

If you want a soft ride a dirt bike is NOT what you want.
Buy a moped or cruiser for street use.

50 years of riding and racing them is proof enough for most people looking for advice and direction.

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."

ROLL TIDE !
Hippie

Post by Hippie »

Lucy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:09 pm The KTM is a motocross bike....harsh suspension. That may take most of the fun out of it for you.
Not harsh at all. Motocross suspension has to soak up huge hits and jumps.

I would go with the KTM over the WR. 31hrs is relatively low. That KTM could probably be had for under 5k. The WR price seems way high, but I am not a trail bike guy.I have a YZ250F and KX450, both newer. Yamaha is nicer quality.
Orlando Paulitician

Post by Orlando Paulitician »

Skeezix wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:28 pm Do you have a Yamaha or a KTM dealer any where near you?
Being able to get access to service would probably be the decider for me.
They're both good bikes.
Perhaps dirt bikes are different, but isn't a bike a bike? I never took my SV650S to a Suzuki dealership.

I did a lot of maintenance myself, and what I couldn't do myself, I took to a local bike shop?
Waffle-brain alumni. Outdoor-, dog-, and gun-enthusiast. Citizens Assisting Citizens volunteer:
https://www.cacteam.com/
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

I did and still do ALL of my own maintenance and repairs when needed.
Most MX racers from the late 1960s-1970s did all there own work on the bikes unless you had a factory ride or a large bike store sponsorship.

I had a small shop sponsor back in the day.
They have me 2 stroke oil, tranny oil, grease, plugs, entry fees and a pair of Torsten Hallman goatskin leathers at a discount from them.

I didn't let anyone wrench on my MAICO !

I thought I had it made !

ROLL TIDE !
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

I've re-read your original post and it could be somewhat confusing. The narrative is clear but the question isn't quite as clear. You ask which bike other folks would buy without a clear predicate if the bike they are choosing is the one they would want for themselves or if it is the one they think you should buy for yourself.

My post was from the perspective that the bike was being purchased for you based on this earlier post you made:
armedpolak wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:12 am 4) What dirt bike to get for myself :D :D :D ??? If he continues to like the sport I want to ride with him. I was thinking about getting a Japanese 250cc bike (maybe 150cc?) either new or in great shape, one that would last me forever. but what brand and engine size to get? I'm sure 450 is an overkill, and 150 may be too little for me (I'm 6'4" and around 170 lbs). I just want something to have fun on trails, not a racer, and no I do not plan on doing jumps LOL Also, I would rather get a 4 stroke so I dont have to deal with adding oil to fuel; would fuel injected be better? or stick with simple carburetors and not worry about it?
Assuming that to be the context for your post, I stand by my earlier statement:
You will find the KTM suspension to be...harsh. Why?
Hippie wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:33 pm Motocross suspension has to soak up huge hits and jumps.
Well, you said you aren't gonna' be doing jumps.
It is a motocross bike...made for...wait for it...jumps, rhythm sections, and supercross tracks. Its built for high speed, not slow flat Florida trails. True, we have palmetto roots in Florida but you aren't gonna' be bustin' it over the roots...particularly if you are out with junior.

Based on your own description of what you are looking for, you may want to avoid a motocross bike. Riding slow with your son will magnify the stiffness of the suspension. If you are getting beat up it ain't gonna' be fun.