shipping firearms

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
jollystriker

shipping firearms

Post by jollystriker »

If I sell a rifle on Gunbroker, what shipper is recommended for firearms? I know it will have to ship to an FFL.

thank you,
Alan
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

jollystriker wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:24 pm If I sell a rifle on Gunbroker, what shipper is recommended for firearms? I know it will have to ship to an FFL.

thank you,
Alan
The merchant who just sold me my firearm used USPS. But I believe all different carriers have a policy and you can research them.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Here is a breakdown of what I recall from when I used to do this fairly frequently years ago. Perhaps rules have changed now and I apologize if someone with more up-to-date info corrects me.

UPS - as a non-FFL, you have to take it to the UPS depot, which for me is an hour away near the airport. You cannot take it to the local UPS Store (their rules). They will give you the third degree once you tell them it is a firearm, and you will have to get a manager that really knows the rules. They will require you to ship it using the most expensive air priority service. Leave it not fully sealed as they will want to inspect (sometimes).

Fedex - not sure, but I think similar to UPS.

USPS is the most affordable method. But again, you will have to argue with the counter person as most do not know the rules. Sometimes the postmaster don't know! Long guns are ok for a non-FFL to ship but handguns can only be accepted from FFL.

What I have found is it is cheapest, easiest and best to just take it to a local FFL that will do a transfer for you at a reasonable cost. I used a local pawn shop extensively and built a relationship. Often he will break the rules of the individual carriers I have found. I pay him to insure it and if it does not get there he will have to deal with it, but I never had an issue with the guy I use.

All this BS is such a hassle and so expensive that it has to be an expensive collector firearm for me to ship it out of state. I usually charge a fixed $100 shipping on GB to cover the costs and aggravation. Anything that is not really a collectible, I try to sell face-to-face to avoid the shipping costs/hassles.

Just wait for the Kommieela to be in-charge. It will get much, much worse, if not impossible to ship anything.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
MiamiOffshore

Post by MiamiOffshore »

IF the buyer and seller are in the same State (intrastate) AND IF the item is a long gun you can ship directly to the buyer. You can ship it via USPS if it matches those two qualifications. I love the look on the face of the postal employees when I explain that to them; they almost always have to get their supervisor. :D
jollystriker

Post by jollystriker »

thank you for the info
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

Any long gun, shot gun or rifle can be shipped USPS Priority Mail and you can print the label and have your carrier pick it up at your house

Some counter idiots will hassle you if you take it to the PO some won't but just set up an account with USPS and use "Click and Ship"
You will need to weigh it and measure the box dimensions so an accurate scale is a must but you will wonder how you lived without a good scale once you buy one

I can't even remember how many rifles I have shipped, more than 50 maybe even close to 100 but this "Click and Ship" makes shipping a rifle easy and painless
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Any post office employee who gives you trouble about shipping a long gun, simply is an activist trying to shove his/her/its agenda on you. The Postal Service has a very well designed and organized chart printed, summarizing the regulations for counter clerk reference. There is nothing they have to know, just look at the chart.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Is there any difference in re: if it's going to a standard FFL, or if it's going directly to the MFGR for a maintenance/upgrade? I have a P320 that hasn't yet had that "required upgrade." Can I send it directly to SIG Sauer or should I do it through my FFL? Likewise, can they return it directly to me or must it go through my FFL again?
Bill2e

Post by Bill2e »

Since your going through an FFL, just use the shipper they are most comfortable with.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:49 am Is there any difference in re: if it's going to a standard FFL, or if it's going directly to the MFGR for a maintenance/upgrade? I have a P320 that hasn't yet had that "required upgrade." Can I send it directly to SIG Sauer or should I do it through my FFL? Likewise, can they return it directly to me or must it go through my FFL again?
Call Sig CS and they will email you a label.

With Sig it is as easy as it gets and it will be returned directly to you, no FFL for your gun