5.56 in .223?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
TC6969

5.56 in .223?

Post by TC6969 »

A post in another thread got me thinking about this.

Now, everyone "knows" that firing a 5.56 in a .223 chamber will cause it to explode and kill everyone within 30', but are there any documented cases of damage or injury from this insane and suicidal practice?

Actual documented cases NOT your sisters, boyfriends next door neighbor's uncle who said he "seen" whatever.

I've seen the dimensional diagrams and I know about leade so we can save that.

I'm talking about actual firearm damage from loading a military cartridge into a hunting rifle.

Anyone?
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I've never seen one, and haven't even come across an actual account with photos on the Internet. Nevertheless, I'd just suggest people exercise caution. I've always said in answer to the question that it shouldn't be a problem in a quality firearm, not an (unknown) Bubba built. No different from Uncle Jacks cousin's friend's son's reloads in a light duty or cheapo brand pistol. Actually, factory .223 shooting a, say, LC 5.56 would be far less of a risk than that analogy.

Note also, that some rifles marked .223 (certain generations of Olympic barrels, for example) are actually 5.56 chambers.

If we see some photos, that's a different matter, but the question of loads/reloads still comes into play, as in certain Glock explosions.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

Been playing and building ar platform rifles for decades. More than I wish to confess. Every event of a nature enough to cause failure in a spectacular fashion had been due to obstruction in the barrel or a ammunition issue. Not once due to a 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

In fact just about any particular platform can say the same thing. I would be willing to bet better than 99 percent of all explosive failures are due to the same issues. Obstruction or ammo.

However, as I have not seen every incident caution should go to the user. Like anything else the uncles Gardners dentists friend will know far more than we do.

Ymmv.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

REDinFL wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 am I've never seen one, and haven't even come across an actual account with photos on the Internet. Nevertheless, I'd just suggest people exercise caution.
That could be applied to almost anything.

I've never seen a wheel fall off of an airliner at 30,000ft and crush a Toyota traveling down the interstate, but I still suggest caution.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away there were a couple piece of Schiese Ar15s made for 223 only that were in danger of failing from 22LR as much as anything

I have never seen or heard of any failure that had to do with 5.56 being used in an AR15

We all know how Wolf Gold, not crappy Russian steel junk ammo but Taiwanese arsenal military brass cased ammunition has found great respect among AR15 users.
But, some people who can not read tech data complained it was 223 and they wanted 5.56.
Never mind the velocity was 5.56 I mean what does velocity have to do with it :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, Wolf (a marketing name they only buy stuff and label it Wolf) started packaging the very same ammunition in white boxes labeled 5.56X45
Idiots were happy as could be now that they had 5.56 ammo instead of inferior 223.
It is exactly the same ammo

I was doing the Vero show and these Russian dealers were selling the white box 5.56 Wolf for more than the gold box Wolf 223 and asking if the customer wanted to spend a little more to get 5.56 over 223 and of course they said yes I mean who wouldn't right???? (Well maybe an informed person but).
Freaking hilarious