Is this a gunbroker.com scam???

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:15 pm
P5 Guy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:27 am I guess I'm the odd guy out, I have never and will never buy from an internet auction site.
I thought I wouldn't, either... but if they actually have the inventory you're looking for and at a decent price.... :?
I pulled the trigger on it. we'll see...
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

Not really a scam as much as a negotiation. It worked for both of you, apparently.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Probably derives from the "new" inclusion of sales tax on GB, and method of payment (direct vs "handler" as in eBay). One posts a rifle at a certain price, or the auction reaches that amount, and the buyer thinks "that's it". Add 7% tax on to an $800. gun and :( . But, GB is just falling in line with the sales tax issue.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

REDinFL wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 am Probably derives from the "new" inclusion of sales tax on GB, and method of payment (direct vs "handler" as in eBay). One posts a rifle at a certain price, or the auction reaches that amount, and the buyer thinks "that's it". Add 7% tax on to an $800. gun and :( . But, GB is just falling in line with the sales tax issue.
But isn't that only if the merchant is in the same state as the buyer (or has Tax Nexus in that state)? Both for this auction and the two things I bought via "Buy Now" on GB, no tax was collected because the merchant was out of state, and had no tax nexus in FL. That said, FL does have a "use tax," meaning they expect you to report the sale and pay the equivalent of FL sales tax on the "honor" system.... Hmmmmmm..... :twisted:
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

That's the "old" law, and still as such in some states. There appears to be some new agreement between some states, and the larger "dealers" whether they be dealers or facilitators as in auction sites. I don't know all the details, but eBay probably has the best explanation. The real world explanation is the larger outfits went into this before state's attorneys came after them; and, if applicable to you, it's done to you regardless. I've noticed in, say, ammunition sales., some dealers charge tax, and even large dealers in the right states don't (example, Midway in Missouri doesn't charge tax to FL). So, it's a complex patchwork of laws. Gunbroker has an explanation on their site but it's a lot of mumbo-jumbo (key to getting hosed); maybe they cleared it up. They, too recognized the problem of a buyer wondering about extra charges.

We have a similar situation in my area with the sales tax, confusing to foreign visitors in whose countries the VAT is built into the price.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

REDinFL wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:22 pm That's the "old" law, and still as such in some states. There appears to be some new agreement between some states, and the larger "dealers" whether they be dealers or facilitators as in auction sites. I don't know all the details, but eBay probably has the best explanation. The real world explanation is the larger outfits went into this before state's attorneys came after them; and, if applicable to you, it's done to you regardless. I've noticed in, say, ammunition sales., some dealers charge tax, and even large dealers in the right states don't (example, Midway in Missouri doesn't charge tax to FL). So, it's a complex patchwork of laws. Gunbroker has an explanation on their site but it's a lot of mumbo-jumbo (key to getting hosed); maybe they cleared it up. They, too recognized the problem of a buyer wondering about extra charges.

We have a similar situation in my area with the sales tax, confusing to foreign visitors in whose countries the VAT is built into the price.
Well, there are rather sneaky ways to get sales tax to be collected. Amazon is a prime example. When Amazon was starting to get big, and the states' Depts. of Revenue realized they were losing revenue as a result (because everything pretty much shipped out of Washington State), what a they did was offer Amazon LLC "incentives" to build warehouse/distribution facilities in their states... which, of course, meant Amazon now had "tax nexus" in those particular states (NJ and FL among them), and were now obligated to collect tax for shipments to those states. Now, that applies to anything "Sold by Amazon LLC." If Amazon is only doing "3rd party" stuff (i.e. sold by ABC company and shipped/fulfilled by Amazon), then they don't have to collect sales tax. Or, if it's a direct sale from ABC company on the Amazon site, they don't have to collect tax as long as ABC company doesn't have tax nexus in the buyer's delivery state.

If there's a "new agreement" between states, it can only be enforced if there is some sort of physical facility in those states that would create the required tax nexus for taxes to be collected. So, maybe the ammo companies, etc. have "company owned" warehouses in multiple states, or something. That actually wouldn't be all that far fetched as companies are now realizing the benefits of having multiple distribution centers in order to get product delivered more quickly/effectively.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Update: My FFL received the package from the Gunbroker merchant and all is well. Arrived NIB, everything looks good.

I'll be giving this merchant a stellar rating!
Cwt7691

Post by Cwt7691 »

SS1 Answer to your question on wearing belt buckle with gun

IT IS OPEN CARRY-------- ARREST and CHARGES to come if stopped. One of my squad members made the arrest. State Attorney went forward
with prosecution. The defendant plead guilty for a reduced sentence. He spent a ton of cash on a high priced attorney .
Put buckle in a display case. Save the nightmare, insert revolver in pocket.
Member since the early days
Semper Fi
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Cwt7691 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:42 am SS1 Answer to your question on wearing belt buckle with gun

IT IS OPEN CARRY-------- ARREST and CHARGES to come if stopped. One of my squad members made the arrest. State Attorney went forward
with prosecution. The defendant plead guilty for a reduced sentence. He spent a ton of cash on a high priced attorney .
perfectly legal in TN with a license, which my brother has...
kayakingsteve

Post by kayakingsteve »

Cwt7691 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:42 am SS1 Answer to your question on wearing belt buckle with gun

Unrelated question: If they change gun laws and tell you guys to start going door to door and collecting people's AR15's etc... or going to ranges and checking if people have some new federal registration paperwork or other nonsense, will you do it?

At what point does a LEO stop enforcing bad laws?