How a HK Love/Hate Relationship has evolved over the years.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Miami_JBT

How a HK Love/Hate Relationship has evolved over the years.

Post by Miami_JBT »

I've had a love/hate relationship with HK for a very long time. I was never fan of the USP .45 (co-worker carried one on duty back before the AWB expired instead of our agency's GLOCK) since it just never fit me right and I was deep in the GLOCK Kool-Aid. Hell, I'm still deep in the GLOCK Kool-Aid and honestly I find my Gen 4 G21 and G41 to be fantastic guns.

But I was a GLOCK guy since Bill Clinton was in office. I also had a legit HK91 and never liked it since it lacked the paddle release and my Springfield Armory M1A just was a "better" rifle. It fit me better. Then tried a Century Arms C93 Sporter and ditched that too. My Ruger Mini-14GB with factory folding stock just did what I wanted better.

But during and between all that time, over a decade ago. I bought a used USP .40 on a whim at Lou's Police Supply in Hialeah, FL. It was under $400 at the time, came with the HK Light, and a three mags. I figured what the hell, if I don't like I'll use it as trade fodder. Well, I liked it. I'm a huge .40 S&W fan and the USP chambered in it was the cat's meow. It fit me right, handled nicely, was a soft shooter,

I thought that was going to be the one and only HK I'd own.

Next thing I know, I stumble across an old stock new in box SLB 2000 for a damn good price too later on when I moved to North Florida. Bought that and man, what a hell of a rifle! I wish the HK91 was like this rifle. Accurate, reliable, fits me right, etc.... fantastic hunting gun from HK. The last of an era for them.

Then, back in 2018, Summit Gun Broker had used USP Compacts for under $400 in .40 S&W too. So I snagged that too.

Another fantastic shooter and carry piece.

This week, I went and stumbled on a really nice VP70Z for under $400 too. I know the history of them, back in the first decade of this century. I worked as a gun counter monkey as a side hustle and was basically paid in store merchandise. It was a nice off duty detail from the usual drudgery of police work.

Anyways, we had a VP70Z under the glass forever and I passed on it back then not because I wasn't interested in the gun. But because I was handing the paycheck back to the shop for other goodies like Pre-1982 S&W Wheel Guns.

Well, I rectified that and snagged this one for cheap and it is now part of the stable.

In the end, while I'm not fully converted to the church of HK. My relationship has shifted more to love than hate these days. I don't see myself buying everything and anything HK related. But I do see myself enjoying what I have and maybe in the future snagging another HK product like HK4 and a unmodified SL8.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I love the USP and others as well tried to snag SP5 but the prices are crazy.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

HKs are well built Guns, designed for reliability. Some find them clunky/clumsy but form follows function. My problem with them is the cost of parts and accessories, especially magazines. I suppose, as with anything Cherman, they are made of an alloy of gold and unobtanium.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

Wish I still had my USP .45....
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Love my HK Mk23. When I'm not carrying, I use it as a hammer to set masonry block... ;)

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

I've mentioned before that I like Glock well enough. It's a solid pistol with a decent reputation. I don't go overboard on it like a lot of the koolaid drinking Glocktards on GT. They think the sun rises and sets on Glock, that it never malfunctions, never had problems that had to be addressed and is the best pistol ever made. When you don't agree with them they stomp their feet like little kids having a temper tantrum. And when you start explaining that a lot of their reputation was purchased and/or creative marketing, that many of their models had problems out of the gate (like slides flying off pistols while firing, bad magazines, jam-o-matics like the G36, cracked slides and frames and all the other host of problems their 'perfect' pistol has had over the years they go into melt down mode. Not to mention that you get what Glock decides to give you rather than them catering to their consumer base like other companies. They do have a fantastic aftermarket though, unfortunately, 99% of that offering is crap you really don't need. But that's besides the point.

More on topic, I've really gotten into HK, particularly this year. My preference runs to hammer-fired pistols over striker-fired pistols and HK makes some good ones. Rather than repost all the pics I'll put in a link to our HK thread on the SEP board:

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=255

Only thing that really needs to be done, other than night sights, is the enhanced mag release paddle. I detail that in the above link.

I was going to see about getting a Gen 5 Glock 23 but when I found out about the added thickness and one less pin I decided to give it a pass. I foresee long term issues with that design but only time will tell. Instead, I got a USPc in 9mm, bought a complete 40 S&W upper for it off Armslist (back before they got stupid) and a 357sig barrel from Rim Country Mfg. It's the same size, weight and thickness of a Gen 5 G23 but it's on a platform that was specifically built for the 40 S&W cartridge. And it sure does shoot sweet and soft as a result of it's recoil reduction system. Also have a P2000 and USP 45, all detailed in the link.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Deputydave wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 am I've mentioned before that I like Glock well enough. It's a solid pistol with a decent reputation. I don't go overboard on it like a lot of the koolaid drinking Glocktards on GT. They think the sun rises and sets on Glock, that it never malfunctions, never had problems that had to be addressed and is the best pistol ever made. When you don't agree with them they stomp their feet like little kids having a temper tantrum. And when you start explaining that a lot of their reputation was purchased and/or creative marketing, that many of their models had problems out of the gate (like slides flying off pistols while firing, bad magazines, jam-o-matics like the G36, cracked slides and frames and all the other host of problems their 'perfect' pistol has had over the years they go into melt down mode. Not to mention that you get what Glock decides to give you rather than them catering to their consumer base like other companies. They do have a fantastic aftermarket though, unfortunately, 99% of that offering is crap you really don't need. But that's besides the point.

More on topic, I've really gotten into HK, particularly this year. My preference runs to hammer-fired pistols over striker-fired pistols and HK makes some good ones. Rather than repost all the pics I'll put in a link to our HK thread on the SEP board:

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=255

Only thing that really needs to be done, other than night sights, is the enhanced mag release paddle. I detail that in the above link.

I was going to see about getting a Gen 5 Glock 23 but when I found out about the added thickness and one less pin I decided to give it a pass. I foresee long term issues with that design but only time will tell. Instead, I got a USPc in 9mm, bought a complete 40 S&W upper for it off Armslist (back before they got stupid) and a 357sig barrel from Rim Country Mfg. It's the same size, weight and thickness of a Gen 5 G23 but it's on a platform that was specifically built for the 40 S&W cartridge. And it sure does shoot sweet and soft as a result of it's recoil reduction system. Also have a P2000 and USP 45, all detailed in the link.
@Deputydave

How do you like your P2000?
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Orlando Paulitician

Post by Orlando Paulitician »

A bit of a sidetrack, but what do you make of HK debuting their new SP5, and then not having anything in stock?

Is that just covid?
Waffle-brain alumni. Outdoor-, dog-, and gun-enthusiast. Citizens Assisting Citizens volunteer:
https://www.cacteam.com/
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Orlando Paulitician wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 pm A bit of a sidetrack, but what do you make of HK debuting their new SP5, and then not having anything in stock?

Is that just covid?
Ton on GB but you are going to MRSP+ just out of most people's price range honestly most are not going to pay 3K+ for 9mm.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

If I were to drop $3000 on a 9mm pistol it would go to WALTER. That all steel target pistol looks great, but will never be seen in my safe.
:(