How a HK Love/Hate Relationship has evolved over the years.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I'm not sure why but I've never been able to warm up to HK pistols except their P7 series.
I tried their USP series when they came out but never kept any as they didn't offer anything to me that wasn't available from other pistols of the time.
First HK Pistol I purchased was a P7M8 which I liked and shot well. I carried that pistol for few years but eventually moved back to 1911. I still have that P7M8...my only HK pistol.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Orlando Paulitician

Post by Orlando Paulitician »

lakelandman wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:56 pm
Orlando Paulitician wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 pm A bit of a sidetrack, but what do you make of HK debuting their new SP5, and then not having anything in stock?

Is that just covid?
Ton on GB but you are going to MRSP+ just out of most people's price range honestly most are not going to pay 3K+ for 9mm.
I assume the one's on GB are the people selling used one's at MSRP plus some. Are there any actual dealers selling at MSRP?
Waffle-brain alumni. Outdoor-, dog-, and gun-enthusiast. Citizens Assisting Citizens volunteer:
https://www.cacteam.com/
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Orlando Paulitician wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:49 pm
lakelandman wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:56 pm
Orlando Paulitician wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 pm A bit of a sidetrack, but what do you make of HK debuting their new SP5, and then not having anything in stock?

Is that just covid?
Ton on GB but you are going to MRSP+ just out of most people's price range honestly most are not going to pay 3K+ for 9mm.
I assume the one's on GB are the people selling used one's at MSRP plus some. Are there any actual dealers selling at MSRP?
Dealers shops are on GB selling at MSRP+.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Miami_JBT wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:06 pm
Deputydave wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 am I've mentioned before that I like Glock well enough. It's a solid pistol with a decent reputation. I don't go overboard on it like a lot of the koolaid drinking Glocktards on GT. They think the sun rises and sets on Glock, that it never malfunctions, never had problems that had to be addressed and is the best pistol ever made. When you don't agree with them they stomp their feet like little kids having a temper tantrum. And when you start explaining that a lot of their reputation was purchased and/or creative marketing, that many of their models had problems out of the gate (like slides flying off pistols while firing, bad magazines, jam-o-matics like the G36, cracked slides and frames and all the other host of problems their 'perfect' pistol has had over the years they go into melt down mode. Not to mention that you get what Glock decides to give you rather than them catering to their consumer base like other companies. They do have a fantastic aftermarket though, unfortunately, 99% of that offering is crap you really don't need. But that's besides the point.

More on topic, I've really gotten into HK, particularly this year. My preference runs to hammer-fired pistols over striker-fired pistols and HK makes some good ones. Rather than repost all the pics I'll put in a link to our HK thread on the SEP board:

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=255

Only thing that really needs to be done, other than night sights, is the enhanced mag release paddle. I detail that in the above link.

I was going to see about getting a Gen 5 Glock 23 but when I found out about the added thickness and one less pin I decided to give it a pass. I foresee long term issues with that design but only time will tell. Instead, I got a USPc in 9mm, bought a complete 40 S&W upper for it off Armslist (back before they got stupid) and a 357sig barrel from Rim Country Mfg. It's the same size, weight and thickness of a Gen 5 G23 but it's on a platform that was specifically built for the 40 S&W cartridge. And it sure does shoot sweet and soft as a result of it's recoil reduction system. Also have a P2000 and USP 45, all detailed in the link.
@Deputydave

How do you like your P2000?
I very much like my P2000. It has both the 40 S&W and 357siz barrel. It's very ergonomic, accurate and recoil is handled very well. I equate shooting a 40 or 357sig in an HK to shooting a 9mm in a Glock. The recoil is tamed very well. This one is a DAO and the trigger pull is very smooth. If you look at page 5 of this thread;

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=255&start=40

You can see where you can use a regular HK P2000 9mm barrel to convert a 40/357sig over to 9mm. I thought that was kinda interesting. Not sure if the reverse is possible, I would doubt it.

I think for me, this is a great woods-carry pistol. With either the 40 or 357sig barrel. I have it pictured with both barrels on page 1 of that link above.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

@Deputydave, when I got my USP Compact, I was looking at getting it or a P2000 V3 in .40 S&W. I went with the USP for two reasons.

1. It was dramatically cheaper as a police surplus gun than the used P2000 and the P2000 is just a slightly updated USP Compact with more acceptable standardized features when it when it was released.
2. I wasn't a fan of the decocker on the back of the slide. I like that with the USP, I can change it out myself to be a different variant with a $8 part and that it isn't that much different than my other guns.

Yeah, you can go from .40 S&W to .357 Sig or 9mm, but you can't go from 9mm to larger. The reason why is the slide on the USP, P2000, etc... is machined differently to accommodate the 9mm. They take more material out of the 9mm slides so the gun cycles properly. If you compare a USP slide in 9mm and .40 S&W you'll see the difference.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA