off duty dallas cop enters wrong apartment and kills man inside

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Slartibartfast

off duty dallas cop enters wrong apartment and kills man inside

Post by Slartibartfast »

was just streaming the morning news on the reuters app and
saw this, sounds pretty hinky !

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/loca ... 81370.html

A female police officer is on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation into a shooting that happened Thursday night at an apartment complex south of downtown Dallas.

Just before 10 p.m., after finishing a full shift, the unnamed officer entered an apartment she mistakenly believed was her own at the South Side Flats at 1210 S. Lamar Street, according to a police news release.

Star-Telegram media partner WFAA reported that the apartments are just two blocks from police headquarters.

The officer was in full uniform at the time, police said.

Police said that “at some point,” she shot a 26-year-old man inside the apartment, then called police dispatch. Responding officers administered first aid and the man was transported to an area hospital and pronounced dead.

The man has not yet been identified, pending notification of his next of kin, police said.

Dallas police are investigating jointly with the district attorney’s office, police said.

On Friday morning, police did not immediately explain how the officer became confused as to which apartment was hers, or how she managed to get into the apartment.

They didn’t immediately say how long she was in the apartment before the shooting happened, or whether she knew the man.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
jwperry

Post by jwperry »

In all my years of heavy drinking, I've never gone to the wrong house.

Wrong hotel, yes. Wrong hotel room, more times than I can count. But wrong house?
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

jwperry wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 am In all my years of heavy drinking, I've never gone to the wrong house.

Wrong hotel, yes. Wrong hotel room, more times than I can count. But wrong house?
Exactly, same thing I was thinking as I read the story.
Even, even assuming the door was unlocked, which would raise the first bell, the split second you walked in and saw completely different furnishings??? Come on, there is something seriously wrong here, doesn't add up!!
And yeah, I've done the wrong hotel room thing, and also had it done to me, just pass that off as "sh*t happens" and let it slide.
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I'm sure they're already figuring out great ways to cover it up.

Was she drug/alcohol tested before she got put on vacation? Heh.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/da ... smsnnews11

Dallas police said Friday they are seeking a warrant for manslaughter charges against one of their own after an officer entered the wrong apartment in her building and killed a man who was already inside.

Police Chief Reneé Hall said a blood sample was drawn at her request to test the officer's drug and alcohol levels and "we are in the process of obtaining a warrant based on the circumstances."

She said at a news conference that the Texas Rangers were launching an independent investigation. Investigators are "working as vigorously and meticulously as we can to ensure the integrity of this case and ensure the integrity of the department is upheld," Hall said.

She said the officer, who was off-duty at the time of the shooting, would be identified pending any charges.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I ALWAYS lock my doors. Always.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:20 pm I ALWAYS lock my doors. Always.
Apologies in advance for not meaning to hi-jack the thread, having lived 6 years in San Juan PR during my early childhood & and then another 18 in and around Miami after that, I have ingrained into my consciousness several rules.

1. Secure anything you do not wish to be stolen.
2. Vehicle doors will always be locked even when I happen to be inside said vehicle.
3. Home doors will always be locked even when I happen to be inside said home.

There are many more, but those 3 are the rock bottom basics.
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

City is gonna pay big time for this! Bet she used her service weapon?!
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

White female cop
Black male victim
Entered the wrong apartment and shot the supposed intruder?
:roll:
patw

Post by patw »

I can't imagine how she could get out of this, although I am sure they will try. Me, I think this would be an open and shut case from the get go. If she is that stupid to do that, she doesn't need to be an officer.