Refrigerator recommendations?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
photohause

Post by photohause »

“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

photohause wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am Image
Completely off topic but it's my post so I can de-rail it.
I was 19 yrs old working as a bellman/van driver at the airport Holiday Inn on State Road 84 in Ft Lauderdale 1976. (It's now a Ramada).
I picked up Roy Orbison and his band from Ft. Laud. airport.
His band members were questioning me as to how much of a fan of Orbison's I was, I unfortunately told the truth, I didn't know his music.
They asked me what music I was into, I told them The Stones, The Who, Black Sabbath, The Eagles, Poco, Pure Prarie League, Lynard Skynard, etc, etc.
Suffice it to say, I didn't get any tip what so ever, I wasn't very business savvy. :lol:
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Looking at Consumer Reports, there are so many different variations and sizes (French door, side by side, top freezer, bottom freezer, built in and compacts). I assume you aren’t looking built in or compact, or top and bottom freezer since you have door dispensers, so I assume you still want door dispensers:
French door:
31-33” GE GFE24JSSKSS - $2,500 score 74
34”+ LG LRFXC2406S - $3,400 score 84
Side by side:
31-33” GE GSS23HSHSS - $1,695 score 71
34”+ GE Profile PSS28KSHSS - $2,160 score 79
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

My brother has been working in Lowes appliances for about 8 years now. He swears by Frigidaire or Whirlpool. Stay away from Samsung an LG.
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Slartibartfast wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:50 pm kitchenaid and frigidaire

stay away from LG and Samsung
I second this. Kitchenaid is more expensive. We are going on 16 years with our frigidaire appliances. The microwave did go bad at about the 10 year mark but fridge and gas stove are great.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

We bought a Samsung dryer brand new a couple years ago, delivered out of the box by factory installers. I didn't notice until they left that it made a loud rumbling sound when running. I disassembled the front panel and it turns out that the plastic blower wheel was visibly warped. How that got past quality control I have no idea. It was like a low pounding sound. That's how I found out that it's almost impossible to get service on Samsung appliances. There is one like guy out in East Hillsborough for the whole Tampa Bay area, and he has just the worst reviews on Google I've ever seen. I loaded the dryer and drove it to Sam's Club, who gave me a full refund. Fuck that shit. Both Samsung and LG have problems getting and keeping service techs because they take too long to pay invoices, and the sheer amount of repairs they're doing.

Both Samsung and LG refrigerators both use a "linear" compressor, which has (from what I've read) internal seals that wear out anywhere from 2-5 years for lots of people. They are literally disposable.

I am looking for a new refrigerator as I can no longer get a door seal for our 22 year old GE side-by-side (discontinued, nobody has old stock). I'm torn between GE and Whirpool. I'll probably end up getting a used late-model GE or new Whirpool.
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

I've had good results buying used (but nice) refrigerators off Craigs List. It used to be a refrigerator rarely wore out because the compressor was inside a sealed system so it always got cooled and lubricated. They changed the refrigerants a few years back to a much more corrosive kind, so now even the best made fridges won't last like the older ones. Good luck getting a new model to last more than 5-10 years.

Also if you think you might ever need to run it off a generator, read the labels to see how many amps it draws. I've seen fridges about the same size use way different amps, like 6 amps for one and 12+ amps for a different model/brand about the same capacity and configuration.
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Also, had a friend needing a new fridge last month. It took him 2 weeks to find one. Every place he went to, there was either non or on back order lol. This Chinese flu affected everything I guess.
TheRussianNightmare

Post by TheRussianNightmare »

I got a LG 4 door LMXS28626 in 2018. Highly rated by Consumer Reports. It has been very good, but the issues listed in this thread have me a bit nervous now :shock:.

Got it from Costco w/ warranty for $2200
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

Jeepsnguns wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:58 pm Wife & I have decided to replace the absolute worst refrigerator we've ever owned.
It's a 5 year old Samsung and has had more service related issues than any fridge I've owned.
Noise issues, LOUD knocking, whirring, clanking like it's possessed by demons.
Ice maker 3rd time on the fritz.
Now the water dispenser is trickling water at around 1/3 stream, like an old man with an enlarged prostate.

We have an extended warranty but no one can seem to fix it.

Jon
Here's a follow up to my original rant.
My wife is tenacious and called the powers that be regarding our extended warranty and finally got some results.
It took three parts and two repairman visits.
This latest round of replacement parts included a fan accessible from inside the fridge up high.
This is the second time this has been replaced, lots of noise happens when this one needs replacing, like the fridge is possessed by the Samsung poltergeist.
Second & third replacement parts were the ice maker and the water filter housing.
Everything seems to be working better than ever, but not sure how long it will last.
I asked the repair guy how many brands of refrigerators he works on, he told me "all of them".
So I asked him which brand he recommends of the same side by side not too fancy with ice & water similar to what I currently have, he didn't answer my question but did say dont get another Samsung or LG.
He said I will just keep replacing the same parts over & over.
Because the replacement parts are the same as the original parts which are inferior.
I told him I heard from some "friends" (some of you guys here on FSN) recommended Whirlpool and Frigidaire.
He said Whirlpool was good.
I wanted to share this for what it's worth.....