Out of Stock! - Should I wait?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I agree with rug's last sentence. But, I do suspect some have been thinking in the vein of former "crises", when prices went up dramatically. I think there are more problems with that line, this time.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

rug357 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:35 pm With the market situation being what it is now it would be a bad business decision to hold anything in the warehouse now if you can sell it. I don't think any prudent business person is going to hold inventory if it will sell now.
Agreed. They'd be crazy to do it because if Pres. Trump wins, then they'll be stuck with all this invnetory and prices going way down (hopefully). They ought to sell some of it now.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

That would be the smart strategy. But, if one gets greedy, they go all in and roll the dice. The saying in the stock market (forgotten or ignored by the "new breed" in that business), "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered."
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

There is a distinct possibility that this shortage has nothing to do with politics at all. I've also been finding aftermarket motorcycle parts are getting harder to find in stock.

A couple months back, I saw a couple articles about how the Virus closings were affecting "shipping insurance." It seems there is a branch of the insurance industry that covers stuff being shipped to retailers. I'd never heard of it before. From what the articles said, insurers were refusing to cover small shipments because an increasing number of small retailers were unable to pay for the orders they were receiving, so only large orders were being shipped to large retailers.

I'm pretty sure at least one of the articles I saw was in the economics section of the Associated Press website. I expect you could still find it there in the archives.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Unless you absolutely need something now, I'd definitely wait. Trump will win re-election and things will be returning to normal around the second/third quarter of next year.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Deputydave wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 pm Unless you absolutely need something now, I'd definitely wait. Trump will win re-election and things will be returning to normal around the second/third quarter of next year.
I'm not sure I want to wait *that* long.... but I can certainly wait until 1st Qtr, next year. The only things I'd consider buying "now" (i.e. before the election) would be 1 or 2 "Insurance pieces" (i.e. if Biden does win)...
MiamiOffshore

Post by MiamiOffshore »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:30 pm
Deputydave wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 pm Unless you absolutely need something now, I'd definitely wait. Trump will win re-election and things will be returning to normal around the second/third quarter of next year.
I'm not sure I want to wait *that* long.... but I can certainly wait until 1st Qtr, next year. The only things I'd consider buying "now" (i.e. before the election) would be 1 or 2 "Insurance pieces" (i.e. if Biden does win)...
I like the idea of "insurance pieces"! Sort of a "hedge your bets" strategy.