Rick Scott Introduces Bill to Extend Daylight Saving Time

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

It's all for silly people, and businesses who want an extra hour to take care of the silly people (I can't blame the businesses for that). People need to grow up, learn the meaning of the "S" in EST, for example, and conduct lives according to the rule that the world DOES NOT spin on their asses.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Taco

Post by Taco »

jwperry wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 pm Didn't we already pass this as a state and it was never heard in the US Senate to be ratified? If I remember right, we're like 1 of 7 or 8 states that have passed a local bill to get rid of DST, but we're the only ones on the East Coast looking to keep the extra hour in the evenings when everyone else was looking to reduce it...
Yes- FL and NV have tried and failed to stay on permanent DST. Both were ignored citing potential confusion. Any state that wishes to drop DST doesn't have any issue getting it rubber stamped.

Time change kills and hurts a couple thousand folks annually though an uptick in vehicle and workplace accidents...
Chinerd00

Post by Chinerd00 »

Rick will never get my vote again.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Chinerd00 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:46 pm Rick will never get my vote again.
I have to LOL at the Pro-Trump commercial he's doing now (broadcasting on FNC). He's talking about how Biden will take away your 2A rights...

Uhhhhhh... A wee bit of a short memory, ehhh Gov???

:evil:
Last edited by FfNJGTFO on Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Just stick to STANDARD TIME!
You want more daylight? Get out of bed earlier.
Dr. Dickie

Post by Dr. Dickie »

They introduce this all the time, it just never gets passed.
SOMEONE is a making a crap load of money off it, or would lose a crap load of money if we did not switch.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

P5 Guy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:54 am Just stick to STANDARD TIME!
You want more daylight? Get out of bed earlier.

What a concept! :o
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
AirForceShooter

Post by AirForceShooter »

Ricky once again showboating.

AFS
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

It all comes down to this...

1) How much daylight do you need, and at what time of day?
2) At what latitude do you live in the country?

I've lived in a couple of different places that demonstrate the differences on DST vs. not. For example, growing up in the NY Metro area (and living there most of my life), I'm used to what EST vs EDT brings to that area. For example, I'm used to what EST brings in re: morning daylight in the deadest part of Winter. Usually, sunrise is somewhere before 8:00am EST in NY. But sunset is before 5:00p and then it's dark. One year, they decided to start EDT in "February" of all months, because they thought people might use less energy in the morning than in the afternoon. So, that year, during the dead of Winter, sunrise was adjusted by 1 hr to "before 9:00am." Kinda weird. And I didn't even notice the extra hour of daylight in the afternoon/evening.

I have noticed, though, that your location (In re: latitude) has a huge role to play. The closer you are to the Equator, the amounts of daylight/night become more equal and vice versa. I recall being in Seattle in Nov., and having sunset happen at 4:00pm (not 5:00pm). Was weird. Likewise, it didn't get dark in the summer until 10:00p or thereabouts. Now that I live in FL, the amt. of daylight vs nite time is much more even, regardless of EDT vs. EST, but you can still see a bit of a change.

I guess, I'd prefer to keep it at EST, because I need my daylight in the morning when I wake up. It helps me to wake up. I hated that year in Feb. when it wasn't sunrise until almost 9:00am ET. I don't understand how Alaskans do it in the winter. Almost total darkness during the Winter Solstice. No wonder the city of Anchorage has more shrinks per capita than any other city.