Found my unicorn rifle. How would you proceed?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tcpip95

Found my unicorn rifle. How would you proceed?

Post by tcpip95 »

I've found the LH Browning BAR that I've been looking for on Armslist. I've swapped a few emails with the owner, and it seems legit. I'll have it shipped to my FFL guy in Ft. Myers. The seller is in Alabama.

It's a private sale, so how would you suggest doing the deal? Cashier's check? Don't think he'll take a credit card. What (if any) is my best protection?
Taco

Post by Taco »

How much is it? Even a ballpark is fine if you don't want to get too specific. I think price will determine how much rigor to put around the process...

If it's a significant purchase, things like the need for a flight and rental car for an in person visit may be a good idea. If it's a smaller purchase, maybe a well lit FaceTime call would suffice. Maybe just an email picture would be required- I really have no idea on scope or your tolerance for risk.

Perhaps you could find a local-ish shop, give them a call. Ask them to act as your agent, pay them for an appraisal . If all is in order, hire them as your agent to handle the shipping, transfer, and disperse the funds...
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Yeah it all depends on the value.
I've taken a day off from work and driven 300+ miles out of state to see the gun in person and saw the FFL ship it out to my FFL before I gave cash for it.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

Sorry guys for not including the price. It's only $1,000. It's a unicorn - to me - only because I'm left-handed.

It's a Browning BAR LongTrac LH in 7mm. I'm not adverse to risking $1,000 on it (I'll get pics, etc.), but I've heard nothing but bad experiences on ARMSLIST so that's why I was concerned. It's 450 miles each way to go look at it.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

weekend is here,drive up Sat. & come back Sun.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I've had good experiences on Armslist, once a deal is made. The assholes manifest themselves while making contact or negotiating. If that's the rifle you want, I'd take Tony's advice, go up and get it. It's not just a "go look", it's a "pick up and bring home" if it meets your expectations. You not only get to see it, but eliminate shipping questions and hassles.
Last edited by REDinFL on Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

The gun is up in Mobile, AL, so out of state. I don't mind driving there, but don't I have to transfer it through an FFL if it's out of state? I have a current FL CWL.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Not a long gun in an adjoining state. Hopefully, an FFL here will chime in and confirm there aren't any exceptions based on the states involved.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

I just called a local dealer in Mobile. He said that as a FL resident I can go there, buy the gun, put it in my trunk and drive back home. No FFL required, so I may take a drive next weekend and look at it. I know that when a buddy came down from PA, he bought a shotgun off of me. The state of PA required him to transfer via FFL.
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

tcpip95 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm I just called a local dealer in Mobile. He said that as a FL resident I can go there, buy the gun, put it in my trunk and drive back home. No FFL required, so I may take a drive next weekend and look at it. I know that when a buddy came down from PA, he bought a shotgun off of me. The state of PA required him to transfer via FFL.
Only if you actually tell someone you bought it, wink wink. What happens between two people is nobody else's business.
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant