Questions on Western Union

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
REDinFL

Questions on Western Union

Post by REDinFL »

I have some questions on Western Union payments (potentially to me), since I've never before used them in either direction.

I have a response to a craigslist I put up, selling a hardtop for a convertible. Got a response from a guy, very stilted language which was a red flag, turned out he was in the Bahamas. I told him I am in no position to crate and ship something like this. His reply was that he could have his son pick it up, and he'd pay me by Western Union (obviously I'd have to be paid first).

-For an amount of, say, $300, does a Western Union agent such as Publix pay cash, or cut a check?
-If they cut a check, can it be stopped from the other end?

If they paid cash, I don't see a real problem other than someone casing my house, as they'd have to come pick up the top. I could see a risk of a "last minute problem; my son will bring you a money order", which becomes the old clearance time scam. Or, they could claim to Western Union the check was stolen and it should be stopped. Anyone see any other possible angles/scams? The big red flag was the way the guy wrote, like someone trying to imitate a solicitor for a Nigerian Prince.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
forcefed

Post by forcefed »

Tell him to pay his son by money order and have the son bring you cash. Gauge his response.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

forcefed wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 am Tell him to pay his son by money order and have the son bring you cash. Gauge his response.
That's a nice, cut through the chaff, answer. I've sent that, and we'll see what he says. A good con-man has to have an answer for that, and I've checked for the availability of a rolling eyes emoji, the answer ought to be amusing.
macattack321

Post by macattack321 »

Once Western Union funds are transferred, there's no "undo" button. The WU office will give you cash.

I guess you can try this (i.e. get the cash after he "sends" it), but I would also stipulate there are no refunds.
forcefed wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 am Tell him to pay his son by money order and have the son bring you cash. Gauge his response.
I like this answer the best. :D
hotspur

Post by hotspur »

Ignore him and wait for a real buyer. I advertised for sale a Mazda Miata three years ago, got a response from “someone in the army,” based out west but about to be transferred to the Far East so he would not be able to come to Florida himself to collect the car. Would pay by Western Union and send his son to collect. I told him to go fuck himself in seven different languages and never heard from him again. I sold the car to someone local.
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

Fake Western Union Money orders are a big hit with scammers.

Everything will look legit, a couple of days after your bank remits to money order they will get a notice that it was fake.

Even real money orders can be cancelled before you realize it.

Scammer will be long gone.

https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/frau ... enter.html
Lower your chances of falling victim to fraud by checking out these eight things you should never do when using a money transfer service.

Never send money to people you haven't met in person.
Never send money to pay for taxes or fees on lottery or prize winnings.
Never use a test question as an additional security measure to protect your transaction.
Never provide your banking information to people or businesses you don’t know.
Never send money in advance to obtain a loan or credit card.
Never send money for an emergency situation without verifying that it’s a real emergency.
Never send funds from a check in your account until it officially clears—which can take weeks.
Never send a money transfer to an individual for online purchases.
https://www.bbb.org/article/news-releas ... -consumers
BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE »

Cash is King. No cash your trespassing on private property.
BIG JOE
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Big_mike wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:57 pm Fake Western Union Money orders are a big hit with scammers.

Everything will look legit, a couple of days after your bank remits to money order they will get a notice that it was fake.

Even real money orders can be cancelled before you realize it.

Scammer will be long gone.

https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/frau ... enter.html
Lower your chances of falling victim to fraud by checking out these eight things you should never do when using a money transfer service.

Never send money to people you haven't met in person.
Never send money to pay for taxes or fees on lottery or prize winnings.
Never use a test question as an additional security measure to protect your transaction.
Never provide your banking information to people or businesses you don’t know.
Never send money in advance to obtain a loan or credit card.
Never send money for an emergency situation without verifying that it’s a real emergency.
Never send funds from a check in your account until it officially clears—which can take weeks.
Never send a money transfer to an individual for online purchases.
https://www.bbb.org/article/news-releas ... -consumers
Right. I wouldn't consider a MO from him. My question regarding a money order would be if I went into Publix and they printed one out from his transferred funds. Speaking theoretically, of course, as I think he has some shame up his sleeve. My guess is something as childish as the son arriving and saying "My dad sent me a MO for you, which of course would be exactly what you're talking about. That's a good bye.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I'm just waiting to see how this plays out. Bottom line is he has to come with cash. Of course, I suppose it could be counterfeit. Alfred E. Neumans vs Benjamins.