What are landlords going to do?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

The Constitutionally-correct way to respond to riots in your state is to petition your state legislatures to take action.
The federal government delegated to itself the power to intervene in state matters. This is—and always has been—un-Constitutional.
We must stop petitioning the feds for help in resolving what should be state-level issues. That is how they centralize power in D.C. ... which ALWAYS leads to tyranny and self-destruction of every nation that allows it.
R/Griff
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

REDinFL wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:36 pm My wife used to have a rental house.She said there are two kinds of tenants: those who don't pay but keep the place up; those who do pay but wreck the place.
Off topic as usual for me,
A while back, in 2006, we had two houses rented, one to an American co-worker, his wife & daughter and large Shepard type dog.
The other to an HVAC sales rep that came around our office, he was from Morocco and had an American wife, a boy and his mother from Morocco.
Both tenants payed on time for the duration of their lease.
At the end of the lease agreement my American co-worker left the house in absolutely perfect condition, large dog & all, as if no one had even lived there for the year.
The Moroccan mother fucker in 10 months made the house look like crack addicts had been holed up in there for years, my wife & I couldn't believe what people could do to our house in 10 months.
Being a landlord is not for the faint of heart.
The Moroccan had the gall to ask for his security deposit, telling me there was nothing more than normal wear & tear to my house.
I kept his security deposit.
My other co-worker tenant, I gave back his security deposit.
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

Jeepsnguns wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:37 pm
REDinFL wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:36 pm My wife used to have a rental house.She said there are two kinds of tenants: those who don't pay but keep the place up; those who do pay but wreck the place.
Off topic as usual for me,
A while back, in 2006, we had two houses rented, one to an American co-worker, his wife & daughter and large Shepard type dog.
The other to an HVAC sales rep that came around our office, he was from Morocco and had an American wife, a boy and his mother from Morocco.
Both tenants payed on time for the duration of their lease.
At the end of the lease agreement my American co-worker left the house in absolutely perfect condition, large dog & all, as if no one had even lived there for the year.
The Moroccan mother fucker in 10 months made the house look like crack addicts had been holed up in there for years, my wife & I couldn't believe what people could do to our house in 10 months.
Being a landlord is not for the faint of heart.
The Moroccan had the gall to ask for his security deposit, telling me there was nothing more than normal wear & tear to my house.
I kept his security deposit.
My other co-worker tenant, I gave back his security deposit.
This is why most rental contracts now allow unaanounced walk through inspections every so often. (At least where it is allowed legally.) I have been renting up here while we are building our retirement home. (ALMOST DONE!) and we will leave this house better than it was when we got it. I just wisj everyone could say that. And I have not missed a single months rent. Sadly not everyone was able to do that.

Renting houses to others is most definitely not for the faint of heart. Or soft hearted. You have to be strict and adhere to the contract. If you let them slide once it is over.
305tillimoved

Post by 305tillimoved »

I've been able to evict a few tenants for my clients in Broward in early August. Just need to be creative and find a breach of the lease unrelated to non-payment of rent. Took a lot of hand holding to get the judge to issue the writ of possession on each file. On one it took numerous calls to BSO to get their legal team to OK a deputy to serve the writ. Apparently BSO and MDSO have stopped serving writs all together now. Im telling all of my clients to simply pay their tenants to leave instead of paying me to spin my wheels.

That said, we're going to be in a world of hurt. 250k estimated foreclosures in the pipeline already in Dade County. That's only going to increase exponentially as our .gov continues to flounder around to find a way out of this mess.

Only a matter of time until eminent domain suits start popping up for this BS.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Hey, 305–
Any type of insurance available to prospective renters to cover their rent in the event of a job loss? Thinking it might be wise to require it if renting your home.
R/Griff
tector

Post by tector »

If there are mass evictions, where will the mass of new tenants come from to replace the evicted masses?
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

"Undocumented residents" whose rent will be paid by various welfare agencies, both .gov and NGO. The plan for the rest of us to pay for their health care already has been announced as part of the demo platform.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
joel

Post by joel »

tector wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:32 am If there are mass evictions, where will the mass of new tenants come from to replace the evicted masses?
Cross-contamination ?
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

tector wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:32 am If there are mass evictions, where will the mass of new tenants come from to replace the evicted masses?
Gonna have to cut rates back to what they were 20 years ago. No more of this $1k for 1 bedroom 1 bath bullshit in the suburbs.
gforester

Post by gforester »

zeebaron wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:55 pm
Gonna have to cut rates back to what they were 20 years ago. No more of this $1k for 1 bedroom 1 bath bullshit in the suburbs.
If you were to add up the costs for insurance, taxes, solid waste disposal fees, maintenance and unit clean up costs when a tenant moves out, you would know why rents are so high.