A Floridian For 31 Years

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
P5 Guy

A Floridian For 31 Years

Post by P5 Guy »

On this day in 1989 I became a Florida property owner. I've been in this house for the past 31 years.
WhooHoo, I guess?
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Shit, I arrived in Miami on May 5, 1972...I think it was about 3:30PM.
Now I'm just 20 miles north of there in Broward.

You know what that makes me?..OLD!!!!
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
MiamiOffshore

Post by MiamiOffshore »

STARZ has all episodes of Miami Vice streaming. I watched a few the other day and it was AMAZING to see mid-80's Miami! WOW! Things change subtly over time so you don't notice even though you know there's been growth, but this was :shock:
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

John Rothchild wrote a great book on Florida’s history, with emphasis on south Florida, titled, “Up for Grabs: A Trip Through Time and Space in the Sunshine State”. He passed away December 26 last year at 74.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 70348.html
rug357

Post by rug357 »

MiamiOffshore wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:37 am STARZ has all episodes of Miami Vice streaming. I watched a few the other day and it was AMAZING to see mid-80's Miami! WOW! Things change subtly over time so you don't notice even though you know there's been growth, but this was :shock:
Prior to Miami Vice days South Beach was known as God's waiting room. Area was full of elderly northerners who came to the warm weather to wait out their days. In 1980 or 1981 I spent couple weeks photographing South Beach with a guy name William Eggleston and few others and took about 5,000 B/W photos which reflect what the area was really like at that time. For a young energetic guy it was a depressing place with very few bright moments.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

We called it Bubbyville. Some of you will understand that. GARY.
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

rug357 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:46 pm Prior to Miami Vice days South Beach was known as God's waiting room. Area was full of elderly northerners who came to the warm weather to wait out their days.
We moved to North Miami in '69 when I was 12 from San Juan PR (thats another story in itself, I'm not Puerto Rican).
Rug is absolutely correct, back then South Beach, the current play ground of the rich & famous, was referred to as "Gods waiting room" by the locals.
My grandparents moved down from Brooklyn N.Y. in '71 to South Beach (generally called Miami Beach by the retirees).
Lots of the old art deco hotels were dilapidated retirement homes back then, the front verandas were filled with old folks sitting in rocking chairs.
I can remember when I got my first car at age 17 and would drive east on NE 125th St. over the Broad Causeway to the beach and go south on Harding (that road map description was for you Rug, LOL) to visit my grandparents, driving by one after another hotel with the old folks all sitting in the rockers was about as depressing a sight as you can imagine.
I also remember me and my cousin at age 14 (1971) or so walking around Lincoln Road mall and there being only several shops occupied, the rest were shell spaces waiting to be built out. Lincoln Road Mall had the feel of a ghost town.

Things sure do change.
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

My mothers grandmother came here in the 50s, 1850s more of her family came 67, 1867 after the carpet baggers made their lives unbearable in southwest Georgia. My fathers were late comers. They didn't get here until 1922. I ready to roll it up in southeastern Florida. Dade County has been sucking really hard for a while now but I will keep a residence in Florida. Probably near St Auggie. Summers will be in my cabin in the western NC mountains.
That Carrier fella sure screwed up a good state.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

And all this time I thought St Pete was GOD's waitingroom?
:o
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I moved back in 2003 and I think it's time to move out of Florida over the summers and the low paying jobs.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.