Are You a Duke Energy Customer? WTF happened?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Flame Red

Are You a Duke Energy Customer? WTF happened?

Post by Flame Red »

My brother-in-law complained that his bill when up over $100 this month and he lives in one of those new energy efficient homes.

Got my bill and it went up like $130.

So I searched around and I did not find any news that their rates went up.

Now my neighbors and saying their bills went up over $100 also!

This is not the usual summer swelter expected.

So did Duke get a rate increase from the politicians? Is AOC getting the green new deal early? Is this a new BLM tax? Silent unadvertised rate increase during an economic crisis and lower energy usage?

Inquiring pissed off minds want to know!
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

This is the buzz in my neighborhood too.

Folks keep asking about whether new meter vs old meter is the cause.

Seems to be across the board. Mine is up as well but we haven't been energy conscious and we've been keeping it pretty cool in here.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

$100+ is not slightly !

Duke Energy electric bills to increase in March due to storm recovery costs

https://www.wfla.com/news/local-news/du ... %20workers.

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Duke Energy customers in Florida will see slightly higher electric rates come March.

The Florida Public Service Commission has approved Duke Energy Florida’s request to collect millions of dollars to cover the costs related to 2019 Hurricane Dorian and Tropical Storm Nestor, the commission announced in a press release Tuesday.

The company was seeking $171 million for Hurricane Dorian and $400,000 for Tropical Storm Nestor, including interest.

Effective March 2020 through February 2021, Duke Energy customers will see an increase of $5.34 per 1,000 kWh of electricity on a typical monthly bill.

PSC Chairman Gary Clark explained that the higher bills will cover the cost to mobilize utility workers.

“Florida utilities had to mobilize a significant workforce to prepare for possible storm damage and be positioned to restore power as quickly as possible following Hurricane Dorian and Tropical Storm Nestor,” Clark said. “We will continue to scrutinize storm costs to minimize the impact on customer bills and ensure that Florida remains the leader in disaster preparation and post-storm restoration.”

Approximately 7,800 employees and contractors were prepared to restore power following Hurricane Dorian, which killed more than 60 people, caused $7 billion in damages, and cut off power to roughly 24,000 Duke Energy customers.

Duke Energy serves about 1.8 million customers in Florida.

The new charge is subject to refund as the PRC reviews the costs. The final amount to be recovered will be determined at a later date.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/new ... -customers

BOHICA Floridians pay thru the nose for power.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Got new meter, usage jumped 38% month over month, 45% year over year.

It's hotter. We're home more. Our AC is new and larger. We did complete a reno so we have more space. I still don't believe the usage difference is reflecting this accurately.

I've still been trying to hunt down a phantom... iWhile it is possible that our new meter is running too fast it's also possible that our old meter just ran slowly.

(The articles are talking about $5 per 1k kw, so $5-15 per bill... a tiny percentage)
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Bill about the same. Of course, "same" is high enough, especially with the wife air conditioning the great outdoors, having the back slider open, and sitting there and smoking.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Replaced the air handler hog with 4 mini-splits, Icynene R-30 under the roof, foil/foam-board/fiberglass insulation in the walls, Low-E windows (required by the City :roll: ) and a solar water heater = $57 bills in the summer.

Yeah, it all cost $35k, but at least I can tell FPL to suck it!
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

TECO is shaving a good chunk of change off each bill for the fuel costs because of the reduced natural gas prices from corona. Our bill ends up being about 15% less each month. It was about $150 all inclusive for about 1500kwh for last billing period's usage. They put in the newest digital smart meters in about a year ago too.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

What possibly may have happened is that your previous last few bills may have been "estimated", meaning because of Corona they never sent anyone out to read your meters. They did that to us for two water bills. Then they finally read your meter and you owe that much more money.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

zeebaron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:36 pm What possibly may have happened is that your previous last few bills may have been "estimated", meaning because of Corona they never sent anyone out to read your meters. They did that to us for two water bills. Then they finally read your meter and you owe that much more money.
Nobody reads meters (electric or water) anymore, unless you're rural.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -