Generator

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reliance-ProTr ... it/4712881

This says it’s rated for 12,500 watts and 50 amps?
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Edited to add. With the generator you've got that transfer switch is sufficient. However if you ever get a bigger heavy duty generator it won't be.

With an interlock kit, you can run anything in the whole house easily. With one of those, you can only run what's on the transfer switch.
If you want to get a transfer switch get a transfer switch. In the last four years, I have pulled out probably five or six of those transfer switches and installed interlock kits for the flexibility and ease-of-use.
Last edited by mohshard on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
better2have&notneed

Post by better2have&notneed »

mohshard wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:57 am In the last for years, I pulled out probably five or six of those transfer switches and installed interlock kits for the flexibility and ease-of-use.
Could you please post a link or more info on the interlock kits, I would like learn more and maybe get one for my house. I use my 220v 30a plasma cutter plug, like how lots of people use the dryer plug.
Thanks.
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

better2have&notneed wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:30 pm
mohshard wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:57 am In the last for years, I pulled out probably five or six of those transfer switches and installed interlock kits for the flexibility and ease-of-use.
Could you please post a link or more info on the interlock kits, I would like learn more and maybe get one for my house. I use my 220v 30a plasma cutter plug, like how lots of people use the dryer plug.
Thanks.
To use an interlock kit, you can't just have a main breaker outside, you need a main breaker load Center combo panel that has a factory interlock kit available. All the new powermark gold GE panels have interlock kits available, so do the Square D homeline, and most of the Siemens panels made in the last 5 years or so.

There are some aftermarket third-party interlock kits available, but most are not UL listed at this point
milsurp

Post by milsurp »

www.geninterlock.com

Just had an electrician hook up the parts I ordered from here. Shipping was fast and they had everything I needed to install it. Works like a champ.
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

milsurp wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:46 pm www.geninterlock.com

Just had an electrician hook up the parts I ordered from here. Shipping was fast and they had everything I needed to install it. Works like a champ.
mohshard wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:57 am Edited to add. With the generator you've got that transfer switch is sufficient. However if you ever get a bigger heavy duty generator it won't be.

With an interlock kit, you can run anything in the whole house easily. With one of those, you can only run what's on the transfer switch.
If you want to get a transfer switch get a transfer switch. In the last four years, I have pulled out probably five or six of those transfer switches and installed interlock kits for the flexibility and ease-of-use.
Yeah I don’t anticipate getting a bigger heavy duty one, unless this one takes a shit. I’m not partial to either...this is way above my expertise, I’m just looking for whichever is easier, safer, and most cost effective to power my house using this generator.

If I went w an interlock, which specific one would I need for this specific generator?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

FSUnoles wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:41 pm
If I went w an interlock, which specific one would I need for this specific generator?
The interlock kit is specific to your breaker panel, not your generator. Find the model # of your panel then Google that # + Interlock kit. Typically about $65 - $95 (unless you have a D-Square OM1 QO panel like me...then it's $200. :roll: :shock: :cry:

The piece that's generator specific is the hook-up/receptacle that connects to your panel and allows you to plug in the generator. This plug should match/exceed your generator output (e.g. 30a, 50a)...

Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Sundayknight

Post by Sundayknight »

An interlock is based on which electrical panel you have. It ads a backfeed that will only turn on when you kill the power feed from the meter. They make them as an accessory for each panel.
Its kinda Like you can get aftermaket headlights for your car, but they are still specific to what model car you have.
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

Sundayknight wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:34 pm An interlock is based on which electrical panel you have. It ads a backfeed that will only turn on when you kill the power feed from the meter. They make them as an accessory for each panel.
Its kinda Like you can get aftermaket headlights for your car, but they are still specific to what model car you have.
Another stupid question, the inside circuit breaker or the outside electrical box? I have pictures of both fwiw
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Outside.