Generator

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Flame Red wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:50 pm
While most appliances can handle that short term, sensitive items like desk top computers, and other electronics might act funny.
I bought a dedicated 1000W inverter for nothing but computers and other sensitive stuff.

It also charges USB stuff and has little jumper cables to charge 12V car batteries.

Its about the size of two Springfield pistol boxes glued together.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

zeebaron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:39 pm Since we're on the topic, Sam's Club has an 1800 watt Westinghouse inverter on deep discount for $299 right now. I ordered one at midnight when they went on sale, very high ratings and good video reviews:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/westinghouse ... roduct_1_5
What are you planning on running with it?

I bought a 4000/3600 from Home Depot because it already had a motor home ready 30w plug.

I can't run the AC along with anything else.

If I need the microwave, the AC has to come off for 2 minutes.

I got a smoking deal for $269 with free shipping and tax exempt so I'll deal with it, but it really doesn't do much high draw stuff
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

TC6969 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:34 pm
zeebaron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:39 pm Since we're on the topic, Sam's Club has an 1800 watt Westinghouse inverter on deep discount for $299 right now. I ordered one at midnight when they went on sale, very high ratings and good video reviews:

I bought a 4000/3600 from Home Depot because it already had a motor home ready 30w plug.

I got a smoking deal for $269 with free shipping and tax exempt so I'll deal with it, but it really doesn't do much high draw stuff
Just the refrigerator, upright freezer, fans, lighting, and entertainment electronics if I need it in an emergency. I have a dual propane burner for cooking. Otherwise I have use for it as a portable power source a few times a year.
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:33 pm
FSUnoles wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 pm Thanks for the good info, fortunately all our power lines are buried and we haven’t lost power for more than 15-20 minutes in the 7 years I’ve lived here.

GE Powermark Gold Load Center is on the inside circle breaker

THQDL21150 Is written on the top circuit outside (2 pole 150 amp circuit breaker), below It are two 15 amp circuits.

Which interlock would match this and what other parts are needed including wires etc. the electrician is coming to just install everything, I have to buy it
That number is for the breaker, not the panel.

Without seeing your panel/label, it is impossible for us to determine what you need. There are slight variations between panels that could change the interlock needed.

Go to this site, find your panel and confirm with them: https://www.geninterlock.com/

You're looking for a label something like this:

Hmm there’s no labels with anything like that on the panel inside the garage or opposite it outside where the meter is :shock:
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

zeebaron wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm
TC6969 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Just the refrigerator, upright freezer, fans, lighting, and entertainment electronics if I need it in an emergency. I have a dual propane burner for cooking. Otherwise I have use for it as a portable power source a few times a year.
Check here and add up all the stuff you want to run. https://powerequipment.honda.com/genera ... ion-guide

Watch those starting wattages, they can be a real bitch.
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

Any other ideas where I can figure out what Box I have so I can get the correct interlock?
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Open the lid on the outdoor box. Take a picture of it from 4 feet back. Measure the distance between the main breaker and the breakers under it.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

FSUnoles wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm Any other ideas where I can figure out what Box I have so I can get the correct interlock?
If you go to the website I linked, under "Interlock Kits", they have just about every manufacturer known to man, along with pics & measurements. You'll have to do some "show & tell" to determine which panel you have. According to the main(?) breaker you referenced earlier (THQDL21150), you have a GE panel, so that narrows it down. Any electrician worth their salt would be able to tell you which panel you have.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:50 pm
FSUnoles wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm Any other ideas where I can figure out what Box I have so I can get the correct interlock?
If you go to the website I linked, under "Interlock Kits", they have just about every manufacturer known to man, along with pics & measurements. You'll have to do some "show & tell" to determine which panel you have. According to the main(?) breaker you referenced earlier (THQDL21150), you have a GE panel, so that narrows it down. Any electrician worth their salt would be able to tell you which panel you have.
Yeah it’s a GE panel w GE circuits, my panels (inside and outside) look nothing like those pictured lmao :shock:
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

FSUnoles wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 pm
Yeah it’s a GE panel w GE circuits, my panels (inside and outside) look nothing like those pictured lmao :shock:
Forget the inside panel. Generator hooks up to outside panel. Post a pic of the panel (with door open) showing the measurement between the main breaker and the top of the other breakers.

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -