Generator

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

It is truly an odd duck of a panel, there are only four full-sized spaces underneath the main breaker. I've never personally been a fan of meter main combinations, because one part always fails first and you have to replace the whole unit.

They're very common in Davie and Plantation and houses built in the 80s and early 90s.
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:19 am
Ger42 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:10 am Neighbor has an outside service panel with one breaker he had a generator plug installed no lockout, generator plug is hot when FPL power is on he must remember to turn breaker off before hooking up generator. I can't believe this meets local code.
It doesn't meet any code.

NEC 702.6 Transfer Equipment. Transfer equipment shall be suitable for the intended use and designed and installed so as to prevent the inadvertent interconnection of normal and alternate sources of supply in any operation of the transfer equipment.
Unfortunately, a lot of electricians will install an inlet and put printed instructions on the panel dead front or under the lid explaining how the main is supposed to be turned off before generator is hooked up.

My aunt in South Miami changed her outside panel and the job was permitted and inspected. After it passed inspection the contractor installed an inlet and used a Sharpie to explain how it should be . He never installed in interlock device. If he had done that before the inspection it never would have passed.
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

mohshard wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:55 am It is a GE meter/main combo. If he had shown another 18 in up you would see the meter. You can see an FPL tamper tag if you look closely.

The main breaker actually takes up both sides of the bus under the metal deadfront. So a side by side interlock wouldn't work

I installed an interlock in one of these a few years back. I will check and see what the part number was.
So in addition to that kit what else do I need, I know a plug and wires. And you are correct just above it is the meter from FPL and another box. I didn’t take a picture of it because irs locked w their secret squirrel lock.
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

mohshard wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:09 am It is truly an odd duck of a panel, there are only four full-sized spaces underneath the main breaker. I've never personally been a fan of meter main combinations, because one part always fails first and you have to replace the whole unit.

They're very common in Davie and Plantation and houses built in the 80s and early 90s.
I’m not in those areas, but my house was built in 2000 or 2001 I think? It’s definitely not the Taj Mahal so this doesn’t surprise me haha
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

You will need a 2p50 GE fullsize breaker, a 50 amp 2 pole power inlet, conduit, a cord from inlet to generator, and fittings.

Or, just install the more expensive transfer switch that your contractor recomended.

You're welcome.
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

mohshard wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:58 pm You will need a 2p50 GE fullsize breaker, a 50 amp 2 pole power inlet, conduit, a cord from inlet to generator, and fittings.

Or, just install the more expensive transfer switch that your contractor recomended.

You're welcome.
My electrician didn’t recommend anything, I didn’t even know interlocks existed until this thread.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Eh...just do it the Hialeah way... :lol:

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

FFWD a year and I still haven’t gotten a transfer switch :shock: :shock:
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

But you probably got the new iphone and white Oakley's.....
FSUnoles

Post by FSUnoles »

mohshard wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:58 pm But you probably got the new iphone and white Oakley's.....
Nope... still same iPhone and same black oakleys.