Lawn mower recommendations?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Hammer

Lawn mower recommendations?

Post by Hammer »

Have finally killed the eXmark we purchased 18 years ago for my high school son to earn some money. When he went of to college, I kept the mower and equipment. It is a 36 inch walk behind that I kind of like because it is my once a week exercise and ran like a top(until the compression went away last week).

Have been looking at Zero turn options, but will not go into the truck bed like the walk behind.... and do not want to be pulling a trailer ever time I need to mow at the cabin...

Anyone have any suggestions or leads on good deals? We are right in the middle of grass growing season and not much used available, and brand new is a bit more than I really want to spend on a mower....
Hammer
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

I understand your sitch , HOWEVER sometimes you have to put out a bit more than you can afford to get what you need.
Good deals and financing on zero turns in the Ocala area.
I paid off my 42" last year, $80.00 a month for 3 years.

Buy a Gravely zero turn and a cheap used trailer.
You'll never regret it.
Their built like a tank, or at least like an M1 rifle as far as reliability.

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."
"Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"

ROLL TIDE !
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

For that size, Gravely would be my first choice.

For anyone looking for something smaller, for a typical suburban lot, I just bought a 20" Ryobi electric. Works great, mowed 5,000-5,500 sq ft of grass area and still had 2 out of 5 on the battery left. Other tools, such as trimmers, saws, etc use compatible batteries.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

Switched to a Ryobi electric last year and it's great. Have a service that comes every few weeks during these hot spells I can no longer survive.

Close to five decades my rule has been Honda engines, only have had irreparable problems with other brands.

Hate Honda as a car though... :)

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

Gravely...

MADE IN AMERICA ...
FOR USE BY AMERICANS !

For the last few years I try to buy AMERICAN ONLY.

I know I'll get a shitload of people who disagree but I really don't give a rats ass.

I also know WE THE PEOPLE and our elected fakers got us into the mess we've been in for a long time.
I'm doing the little bit I can to help my fellow Americans keep our money and jobs here.

Sorry for hijacking this post, but there are choices to be had.
I also know everyone can't afford the same things either.
Something to think about people.

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."
"Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"

ROLL TIDE !
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Gravely are decent enough if needing a 36", for a 21" nothing better than the Honda's though, period.

ETA: Look at a Wright Standard Zero turn, it will easily fit in the back of a pick-up and they are damn nice, easy to work to on to if need be as they don't have half the crap that goes wrong on most riders and other zero turns.
Last edited by Lastrites on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Gunnyhiway wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:45 pm Gravely...

MADE IN AMERICA ...
FOR USE BY AMERICANS !

For the last few years I try to buy AMERICAN ONLY.

I know I'll get a shitload of people who disagree but I really don't give a rats ass.

I also know WE THE PEOPLE and our elected fakers got us into the mess we've been in for a long time.
I'm doing the little bit I can to help my fellow Americans keep our money and jobs here.

Sorry for hijacking this post, but there are choices to be had.
I also know everyone can't afford the same things either.
Something to think about people.
I agree with you, but we have been sold out by crook politicians (including saint reagan), and greedy executives. I can't produce the product, so I can only buy what is available: that's where thy have us. Even a Snapper, which is an American brand, makes their electrics in china. Sure, it would be good to be able to tell companies and stores - yeah, you chinamart - to keep your stuff, but at 73 I can't cut my lawn with scissors. What we can do is remember when we vote. Sure, Trump may be a number of less than perfect things, but he stood up for America while the other sleazes want to keep their gravy train going. Trump tried to bring jobs back, not entirely realistic, since many jobs will disappear wherever they are, but that's another subject. Some so-called Americans call that xenophobic, but those same ones sure know whom to call on when they want a crook war started so they can line their pockets. Yes, I try to support America, though I can't do it all. I will remember in November.
macattack321

Post by macattack321 »

weaselfire wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:20 pm Switched to a Ryobi electric last year and it's great. Have a service that comes every few weeks during these hot spells I can no longer survive.
Which model do you have? Is it a 40V? Self-propelled?
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

If I may chime in. I have the Ryobi 40v self propelled - the one they have at Home Depot for $350. with battery and charger. Works great - just got it, so only used once. But, it did the job, had power left, as mentioned above. Easy, single lever height adjustment. I rarely use self propel, but tried this mostly to be sure it was working. Yeah, works well. I provide push power as long as I can - most times I get the whole lawn done without using the self propel, which is a "there if I need it" thing. I'd rather do that than buy those expensive exercise machines they sell on television. Ryobi is really good with their selection of tools using the same battery type, though differing Ah capacities. So, I bought the mower with battery, a string trimmer with battery, and a pole saw, tool only. (my wife made me do it, "Get the tools, too." :o ) So, I can switch batteries as needed. While I haven't yet a long term with it, I'd recommend it.
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

I have a John Deere E140 riding mower I got last year. 1.25 acres is way too much to push mow without dying. Was torn between a rider and a zero turn..ended up doing the rider because it was easier to pull a trailer since we do lots of garden work. The zero turn would probably be faster but I dont mind drinking beer and riding! Mower has 35 hours on it now with no problems at all.