House tenting

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
p7fl

House tenting

Post by p7fl »

My exterminator says I need to get the house tented.
I really don't feel like going thru that. Multiple security and general reasons.
He is not trying to rip me off. I've known him 20+ years and he has always been a straight guy.
What else can I do?
Its not awful but I know it is getting worse.
Other options?
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

Let the termites eat it. That's about your only option. There are two types of termites. One lives in the ground and can be baited. The other lives in the wood and can't.

Security is not really an issue, anyone breaking in gets exterminated. First release before poison is tear gas to drive everything out.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
cj5mrt

Post by cj5mrt »

If you do have it tented, make sure they check everything before they leave. Friends had their's done and when they dropped the tent it broke a hose bib off inside the wall and flooded the whole downstairs. Had to replace flooring and some drywall.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

So when it was time for me to do it, I rented a nice RV for the weekend and parked it in my driveway.

Strong AC, shower, place to cook and sleep. Don't forget to grab your TV, DVD player and DVr and set them up on your dash. I also put a refrigerator outside on a back deck that wouldn't be tented and ran a drop cord out the back door and under the tent to power it.

Was worth every penny.
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

That is a solid idea.
It would save me having to go to a hotel and worry about home security.
I've been wrong about you all these years. :D
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

Slightly off topic, but this thread really reminded me of the scene in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where they try to go into the building while it's being fumigated to retrieve their World Series tickets, and it does not go well.

Here's a vid, it's at about the 1:10 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGXtfTce-LM
My posts kill threads.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

p7fl wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:17 pm That is a solid idea.
It would save me having to go to a hotel and worry about home security.
I've been wrong about you all these years. :D
There is no way I was leaving a house full of NFA stuff unwatched.

There is always the concern that guys who work for whatever company might tip off their criminal buddies about what house has the goodies. When I slung a MP5 on my way out the front door and into the RV I probably came off a few lists. Don't think tented houses don't get broken into, happens in a lot of different ways.

Also there is a state law (or was) that the exterminator takes possession of the key to the house. There is no way I was going to turn that over so somebody could make a copy. Because I was a FFL I was able to mostly bluff my way around that law by stating my address was a Federally Licensed Premise (technically true) and as such I could not release control of my property to anyone (sorta true kinda) so with a copy of my FFL I was able to work around that.

Was a lot like camping, but with air conditioning. At the time RV rentals weren't very expensive even for top of the line luxury models. They get shit MPG but all I did was drive it home and then drive it back so that was a nothing issue. More importantly I wasn't 10 miles away from home worried about my house getting broken into and not sleeping in some expensive hotel.

I walked my dogs every couple hours at night around the house to make sure everything was good to go.

10 years before that when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale I did the deck recliners in the driveway bit and that really, really sucked. My buddy and I guarded the house while my wife and dogs crashed at his place. Was really not ideal.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

The RV thing is a really great idea. I'll keep it in mind if I ever have to tent a house.
My posts kill threads.
jr81452

Post by jr81452 »

"Also there is a state law (or was) that the exterminator takes possession of the key to the house. There is no way I was going to turn that over so somebody could make a copy."

I just went to home creepo and bought a cheap pack of kwikset garbage and swapped out the locks before the company showed up. Swapped them back to the Medeco's when I got home. Also threw everything of value into the floor safe (a real one) before we left. No problems.
Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities - Voltaire

Zealot: noun 1. a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.