Old Colt appraisal

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Chigger

Old Colt appraisal

Post by Chigger »

Got a friend who has an old colt break top from the 1800 with original holster and letter stating the relative was given it by the military.

Where would be a place in Florida to get it appraised
ParishM

Post by ParishM »

Rick at Pawn Stars, he'll call his guy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

It depends what he wants the appraisal for. Insurance is one thing, value as in selling is another. Look at the model, then go to gunbroker.com and look at auctions with bids. Sure it's a Colt?
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Big bore lover

Post by Big bore lover »

Where he and the gun is might be a good place to start.
Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

It's a she, right here in palm beach and it says colt right on th barrel.

Knows nothing about guns, was gonna give it to a knucklehead cousin, showed me pics and I said no.

I think she just wants an appraisal to see its value. Not gonna sell it.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

gotta look at completed auctions on GB, if it didn't have a bid, it didn't sell and you can't use that value. Asking prices are not good for price valuations.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Post a pic. You'll get honest opinions here.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
pharmer

Post by pharmer »

Chigger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:26 pm It's a she, right here in palm beach and it says colt right on th barrel.
Should be worth a ton of money. I have never seen a Colt's Top Break. Can't find a pic of one except an "experimental" top break from the beginning of the 20th centuryor thereabouts. An original example will be extraordinary. Joe
Keep Today Fresh
Taco

Post by Taco »

pharmer wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:26 pm
Chigger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:26 pm It's a she, right here in palm beach and it says colt right on th barrel.
Should be worth a ton of money. I have never seen a Colt's Top Break. Can't find a pic of one except an "experimental" top break from the beginning of the 20th centuryor thereabouts. An original example will be extraordinary. Joe
If it's a Colt .mil, I think it's an "Open Top" not "Break Barrel/Top Break"

With no info at all, I'd put a top end at $3,500... While the historical significance is important, you're much more in Apple watch rather than new Kia territory. Still would be a shame for it to go someone who doesn't appreciate it and would be just as happy with a new Hi-Point.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

That's a good point, Taco. If he's not familiar with antique firearms, might not see the difference.

What does the rear of the cylinder look like. Is it open, as if you could put a cartridge in it? Or, is there a "nipple" on it? Differentiating between, say an 1872, or an earlier, such as an 1861. For starters.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.