Question about Insulation

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
ParishM

Question about Insulation

Post by ParishM »

bought a few bags of attic insulation and it says it's 10.25" thick on the bag but each piece was only about 3-4" thick. will this expand over time ? Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Iosef

Post by Iosef »

Check to make sure the kraft paper unfolded all the way on the sides. You might have to help it finish expanding. At 4 inches, it's only R-17. It has to expand to 8 inches at least, to reach the R-30 value.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

That's the thickness when manufactured, before they vacu-pack it into those rolls for shipping.

It will expand some, but not to 10". I would only be concerned about the R-value and not so much the advertised thickness. R-38 is recommended for FL attics.

Contact the manufacturer. I know Owens-Corning is very responsive to questions.
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Does insulation wear out. I know sounds dumb. But is there an expiration date. Say for instance, fiberglass insulation does the heat break it down over time. God I hope not
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Firemedic2000 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:46 pm Does insulation wear out. I know sounds dumb. But is there an expiration date. Say for instance, fiberglass insulation does the heat break it down over time. God I hope not
It doesn't "wear out" so to speak, but if it gets compressed/settles/wets over time it becomes less effective. Measuring will give you an idea where you're at.

After removing POUNDS of rat/racoon turds when demo'ing our old ceiling & insulation, we decided to go with open cell spray foam. Rats can't poop up. :lol:

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:14 am
Firemedic2000 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:46 pm Does insulation wear out. I know sounds dumb. But is there an expiration date. Say for instance, fiberglass insulation does the heat break it down over time. God I hope not
It doesn't "wear out" so to speak, but if it gets compressed/settles/wets over time it becomes less effective. Measuring will give you an idea where you're at.

After removing POUNDS of rat/racoon turds when demo'ing our old ceiling & insulation, we decided to go with open cell spray foam. Rats can't poop up. :lol:

Man that looks really nice
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS