Glock has discontinued the Gen 4...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Deputydave

Glock has discontinued the Gen 4...

Post by Deputydave »

...in both 9mm and 40 S&W.

According to the following release from Glock, the Gen 4 9mm models are being discontinued except for military and L.E. contracts. July 1st was the last date for production for sales to the civilian market in both calibers. From this point only Gen 3 and Gen 5 9mm and 40 S&W models will be produced for the public.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... gen4-guns/

"In an effort to intelligently preserve and grow the GLOCK brand and deliver uncompromised quality and maximum customer satisfaction, we are focused on our mission of future-oriented manufacturing technologies. This includes extending the latest Gen5 technology enhancements to the .40 caliber line of pistols. Availability will begin in October; however, the focus will be on supporting existing .40 caliber agencies on transitioning to the latest technologies within the law enforcement market. While we will continue to support fielded Gen4 pistols and agencies with Gen4 models, we have stopped 9×19 and .40 caliber Gen4 productions for the US commercial market. We look forward to bringing the performance improvements of the Gen5 technologies to other areas of product development."

The 40 S&W models in Gen 5 will go first to any L.E. contracts that want to upgrade. Afterwards they will be open to the civilian market. This begins in October of this year. How long before they become available in the 40 models remains to be seen.

For me, I'm interested in both a Gen 5 G23FS and a 23X if they make them.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
FFC666

Post by FFC666 »

I didnt know they were still producing gen3's.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

FFC666 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:39 pm I didnt know they were still producing gen3's.
Me neither.
Chinerd00

Post by Chinerd00 »

Why gen 4 and not gen 3.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

That's just .....odd.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

FFC666 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:39 pm I didnt know they were still producing gen3's.
neverenoughguns wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:28 pm
Me neither.
Chinerd00 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:42 pm Why gen 4 and not gen 3.
REDinFL wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:08 am That's just .....odd.
Glock continues to produce the Gen 3 because it is the only one that is California compliant. Otherwise Glock would have to jump through all sort of legal loopholes to try and get another Gen compliant in California which has been made almost impossible and very expensive by the state. So Gen 3's are still produced for that market which means they are still available for everyone else.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Ah, ha. Interesting. Now it makes sense. For a while, looking at the 4s and 5s I was thinking they were cannibalizing themselves. Apparently they realized that, and the current mix is right. They probably are thinking about the possibility that CA type restriction might be imposed in other states, so they're ready.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

Deputydave wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:09 am

Glock continues to produce the Gen 3 because it is the only one that is California compliant. Otherwise Glock would have to jump through all sort of legal loopholes to try and get another Gen compliant in California which has been made almost impossible and very expensive by the state. So Gen 3's are still produced for that market which means they are still available for everyone else.
Spot on. CA is still a big market and many makers make products that are CA compliant to be able to sell them their goods....

I much prefer the Gen 4 over the 3 myself. The hump at the bottom of the grip is less on a Gen 4 and it has better texturing on the grip and a better mag release IMO. Prefer the Gen 5 over the 4 though. Got rid of the finger grooves!
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Fifth post in this inked thread:

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=435

The extensive testing for the solicitation included endurance testing, parts interchangeability testing, precision testing, and drop testing from a distance of 2 meters to simulate pistols being dropped from mounted units and was done from six different angles, totaling 64 drops. The endurance testing consisted of 10,000 rounds on each of four test pistols without cleaning or lubrication during the test. As GLOCK America’s Managing Director Patrick Voller explains, “All tests were implemented in a very transparent and public manner as any interested party could participate in these tests as observers.”
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

Did they realize the g4 sucks finally?