Arm braces under fire

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

flcracker wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:42 am
cvasqu03 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 pm and although it "could" be used as one (with some difficulty given how short it was), doing so would mean you'd assembled an illegal SBR.
Incorrect. The ATF issued a letter saying that shouldering an unmodified brace does NOT constitute assembly of an SBR.
As long as you do not alter the pistol brace in any way, how you use it is completely up to you.
Sort of. ATF arrested a guy for doing just that and the judge dismissed it with prejudice and told them he would hold them in contempt of court and throw them in jail if they tried that stupid again (My paraphrasing)
They went back to base with their tails between their legs and issued a clarification that you mentioned as to how they now viewed these pistol brace stocks
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

cvasqu03 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 pm As I understood it, it was legal because it wasn't a stock,
Correct.
cvasqu03 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 pm and although it "could" be used as one (with some difficulty given how short it was), doing so would mean you'd assembled an illegal SBR.
Incorrect. The ATF issued a letter saying that shouldering an unmodified brace does NOT constitute assembly of an SBR.

As long as you do not alter the pistol brace in any way, how you use it is completely up to you.
Well, that's a relief, but it's also the same kind of decision ATF can "rescind" whenever they decide they feel like it. It's one of the reasons my plan was to do an actual SBR.
My posts kill threads.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

cvasqu03 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 pm This whole brace thing has always seemed like a powder keg to me. They were designed specifically to brace on your forearm for use of a firearm one handed like a pistol, but they looked like a stock and many people used it as a stock. As I understood it, it was legal because it wasn't a stock, and although it "could" be used as one (with some difficulty given how short it was), doing so would mean you'd assembled an illegal SBR. Unfortunately, just about every video I see of someone using a brace they're using it as a stock instead of as a brace.

I kept thinking about what happened with the Akins Accelerator and how people kept asking ATF about how it was legal and what they could do with it until ATF decided it wasn't legal and had everyone deactivate or return theirs. I figured ATF would probably try the same thing with these braces as more and more people kept using them as stocks. As much as it says about ATF, it also says a lot about the busybodies who keep poking the bear.

It's too bad too, I was hoping to get myself one of these pistols and file the papers to SBR it and install a proper folding stock on it.
We're you one of the guys that sent ATF a letter asking about the braces.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

Firemedic2000 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 pm
cvasqu03 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 pm This whole brace thing has always seemed like a powder keg to me. They were designed specifically to brace on your forearm for use of a firearm one handed like a pistol, but they looked like a stock and many people used it as a stock. As I understood it, it was legal because it wasn't a stock, and although it "could" be used as one (with some difficulty given how short it was), doing so would mean you'd assembled an illegal SBR. Unfortunately, just about every video I see of someone using a brace they're using it as a stock instead of as a brace.

I kept thinking about what happened with the Akins Accelerator and how people kept asking ATF about how it was legal and what they could do with it until ATF decided it wasn't legal and had everyone deactivate or return theirs. I figured ATF would probably try the same thing with these braces as more and more people kept using them as stocks. As much as it says about ATF, it also says a lot about the busybodies who keep poking the bear.

It's too bad too, I was hoping to get myself one of these pistols and file the papers to SBR it and install a proper folding stock on it.
LOL. Hell NO! I'm not one to poke the bear.
My posts kill threads.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

cvasqu03 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:07 pm
Firemedic2000 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 pm

LOL. Hell NO! I'm not one to poke the bear.
:lol:
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

PLEASE post the online ATF letter saying this. It will save several of us a lot of time and effort to solve a basic brace problem we currently have.

AD
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

Found it.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

AD
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

ADulay wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:41 pm

PLEASE post the online ATF letter saying this. It will save several of us a lot of time and effort to solve a basic brace problem we currently have.

AD
https://vpc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019 ... 1-2017.pdf
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

I remember how there were a bunch of folks saying things like this, "those bump stocks are junk, nobody needs those, who cares if they are outlawed". 🙄
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Ok please tell me we are not going through this putting a brace on the shoulder crap again. :lol: