Arm braces under fire

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Allme

Arm braces under fire

Post by Allme »

I wonder where Trump will come in on this?

https://gaetz.house.gov/media/hottakesp ... race-usage

Gaetz Calls on ATF to Cease Plans Restricting Arm Brace Usage

June 16, 2020
Hot Takes Press Room

Congressman Matt Gaetz announced today on his podcast the ATF is crafting secret rules restricting the possession of certain pistol braces by American citizens, and that he has sent them a letter demanding they stop.

"We understand that ATF is currently considering restricting one arm brace model owned by over 700,000 Americans," Congressman Gaetz writes along with six other members of Congress. "We strongly urge ATF to cease taking any actions and reconsider or rescind any secret determinations which call into question the legality of firearms owned by millions of law-abiding Americans."

“There is always a need to vindicate our Second Amendment rights,” Gaetz says on his podcast, "Hot Takes with Matt Gaetz."

He explains that even during very conservative administrations, like President Trump’s, some do “try to make it more difficult to acquire things that shooters need and gun owners need, for safety and for the unique circumstances that an individual may have.”

The congressman emphasizes that Americans must remain proactive in defense of their Second Amendment Rights.

“But now, what we find, is that the ATF is making it very difficult for people to have arm braces. They’re changing standards and changing rules.” Gaetz continues: “And I am particularly frustrated when our government, at the administrative and executive level, goes beyond their grant of authority in our Constitution and in our Federal Statutes. Nothing gives anyone at ATF the ability to constrain the use of arm braces.”

“So the breaking news is this – I’ll be sending a letter to the Department of Justice, asking for a review of the decisions made by ATF and asking that ATF stop, in this crazy effort to limit access to arm braces for people who seek to have them.”

Congressman Gaetz addresses Attorney General William Barr and Acting Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Regina Lombardo in his letter, and says that he is concerned about the ATF’s practice of creating secret regulation, which could have devastating impacts on law-abiding citizens.

“This practice not only burdens the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding American citizens," Gaetz concludes, "but has recently been used by ATF to stifle innovation within the firearms industry and prosecute unwitting firearm owners.”

You can hear more about the congressman’s letter to the DOJ and his take on other societal issues in today’s episode of “Hot Takes with Matt Gaetz.”
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Another case of I guess I will have to machete off my hand?

Opps! The brace just fell into the Ocean while I was fishing! :oops:
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

watch out for 80% and binary triggers soon too, the guy who shot the cop in Oakland used a homemade AR ( ie 80%) that fired on the pull and release of the trigger
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

What I have NOT seen is which brace they are referring to.

It would be nice if the one/model they are attempting to restrict/ban was mentioned
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

This whole brace thing has always seemed like a powder keg to me. They were designed specifically to brace on your forearm for use of a firearm one handed like a pistol, but they looked like a stock and many people used it as a stock. As I understood it, it was legal because it wasn't a stock, and although it "could" be used as one (with some difficulty given how short it was), doing so would mean you'd assembled an illegal SBR. Unfortunately, just about every video I see of someone using a brace they're using it as a stock instead of as a brace.

I kept thinking about what happened with the Akins Accelerator and how people kept asking ATF about how it was legal and what they could do with it until ATF decided it wasn't legal and had everyone deactivate or return theirs. I figured ATF would probably try the same thing with these braces as more and more people kept using them as stocks. As much as it says about ATF, it also says a lot about the busybodies who keep poking the bear.

It's too bad too, I was hoping to get myself one of these pistols and file the papers to SBR it and install a proper folding stock on it.
My posts kill threads.
macattack321

Post by macattack321 »

rentprop1 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 am watch out for 80% and binary triggers soon too, the guy who shot the cop in Oakland used a homemade AR ( ie 80%) that fired on the pull and release of the trigger
Binary triggers are already illegal in Florida.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

macattack321 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:08 am
rentprop1 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 am watch out for 80% and binary triggers soon too, the guy who shot the cop in Oakland used a homemade AR ( ie 80%) that fired on the pull and release of the trigger
Binary triggers are already illegal in Florida.
Crap, really? Damn, scratch that upgrade then.
My posts kill threads.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

So, no one ever shouldered a "Mare's Leg"?
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

cvasqu03 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 pm As I understood it, it was legal because it wasn't a stock,
Correct.
cvasqu03 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 pm and although it "could" be used as one (with some difficulty given how short it was), doing so would mean you'd assembled an illegal SBR.
Incorrect. The ATF issued a letter saying that shouldering an unmodified brace does NOT constitute assembly of an SBR.

As long as you do not alter the pistol brace in any way, how you use it is completely up to you.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

macattack321 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:08 am Binary triggers are already illegal in Florida.
My long dead smith used to say:
"Illegal?
Illegal is a sick bird :mrgreen: