Bad News Out Of Ybor City!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
TC6969

Bad News Out Of Ybor City!

Post by TC6969 »

Ybor’s La Tropicana Cafe has closed for good.

https://www.cltampa.com/food-drink/open ... d-for-good

Despite its history and longstanding Ybor City fame, La Tropicana Cafe has joined the long list of small businesses lost to the pandemic.

The cafe, located at 1822 E. 7th Ave., has closed for good after taking a financial hit from a decrease in business. La Tropicana’s current operator Gio Peña told The Tampa Bay Times a majority of the spot’s regulars are older and fearful of coronavirus.

I've been eating their sandwiches ever since 1986.

I've eaten 100's of them.

I know, I know, you think Silver Ring is better, or so and so's sandwich shop is better.

You're wrong and cant appreciate a quality sandwich! :lol:
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Very sad... and very wrong. The American public let itself be FOOLED.

It is estimated that up to 85% of independent restaurants may fold as a result of the illegal and unconstitutional shutdown. I place the blame squarely on the gullible American public. We didn't HAVE to shut down or stay at home. We ALLOWED it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/85-of-i ... ort-2020-6

I've been eating out almost every day. The restaurants are nearly EMPTY. 3 - 4 tables seated at the most... consistently. Sometimes my / our table has been the only one.

"It is easier to fool a man than convince him he has been fooled." - attributed to Mark Twain but not confirmed
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Got to agree.

The Wuhan Virus was another prong of the attack of the Chinese to take over the world as the only super power. And the Libitards did not let this crisis got to waste. And when peaceful protestors lined up against the Libiturds unconstitutional lockdowns, the media touted they were spreading the virus. But when the BLM rioted, looted, pummeled and burned down their cities they were just peaceful protestors. Funny, now the media is saying that the virus is spiking and lock downs needs to be brought back. No mention that perhaps all the "peaceful" BLM riots may have spread it.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I saw a picture of a TV screenshot showing a local news show in Kalifornia that was showing the latest guidelines for wherever it was.

It plainly said gatherings of more than 12 people were prohibited.

The next line read "Protests are limited to 100 people".

Now, in what kind of clown world/parallel universe does that make any kind of rational sense?
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

That's a sad loss of heritage for Tampa. La Tropicana's Cuban sandwich always beat Silver Ring, Brocato's, and La Teresita hands-down. Not to mention, drive-thru Cuban toast and cafe con leche in the morning - complete with insane street chickens staring you down in the parking lot.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
tector

Post by tector »

These weren't those bastardized Tampa "Cuban" sandwiches with salami, were they?

If not, RIP.

If so, good riddance.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

tector wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:06 am These weren't those bastardized Tampa "Cuban" sandwiches with salami, were they?
https://matadornetwork.com/read/cuban-sandwich-history/

You have your food history backwards. The Cuban sandwich originated over a hundred years ago in Tampa and included salami from the beginning due to the Italians who worked side-by-side with the Cubans in the cigar factories. Restaurants in Miami were serving Cuban sandwiches with salami back in the 1930s.

It was only after Miami was overrun by Cubans in the 1970s that the sandwich was bastardized by being prepared without salami and using that weird gooey fluffy bread they make down there without palmetto leaves on top of it that is SO not Cuban bread.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

Maybe the Cubans in Tampa at that time put salami in their Cuban sandwich to appease to our Italian paisanos but the original Cuban sandwich, from Cuba, you know, not from anywhere else doesn’t take salami just as the Pan con Bistec doesn’t take mayonnaise and cheese, another thing they do in Tampa, yuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

These folks made the real deal.

I pulled many a palm frond fragment out of my bread in my 35 years as a customer.
tector

Post by tector »

Captain Steinbrenner wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:07 am Maybe the Cubans in Tampa at that time put salami in their Cuban sandwich to appease to our Italian paisanos but the original Cuban sandwich, from Cuba, you know, not from anywhere else doesn’t take salami just as the Pan con Bistec doesn’t take mayonnaise and cheese, another thing they do in Tampa, yuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Real Cubans scare those Tampa pindicks.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”