Bad News Out Of Ybor City!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

Uh-oh. I'm confused.

As much as I like a good Cuban sandwich, now I don't know if I've been eating the "correct" ones all these years.

May have to start doing serious road trips to find out what I've apparently been missing.

I'm open to suggestions of serious Cuban sandwich perfection that I can hit from Tamp to Miami as well as East coast points of light.

AD
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Never eaten at the place being discussed, but I’ve never had a Cuban sandwich with salami on it either. Didn’t know that was even a thing. Salami seems out of place on those...
tector

Post by tector »

NorincoKid wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:42 am Never eaten at the place being discussed, but I’ve never had a Cuban sandwich with salami on it either. Didn’t know that was even a thing. Salami seems out of place on those...
Tampa "Cubans" wanted to sell more sandwiches, so they threw in salami to appeal to Eye-talians. As a wop myself I appreciate the natural subservience of these beta-Cubans to us, but it is disgustingly servile nonetheless.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Well now that I’m aware of it I kinda want to try one but have a feeling I won’t like it. I just never saw one prepared like that.

In my hierarchy of sandwiches, Cubans aren’t even top 10 but I’ll grab one if they look good. Last time I was in Miami I had an awesome one but don’t remember where. Blurry weekend.

And while completely off topic, Chicago Italian Beef (wet) on Gonnella bread > Cuban Sandwich. Just gonna leave that there.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Very sad to hear about that restaurant :(

As others have said, the 'plan DEM ic' was just an attempt at controlling the masses. I have faith that those that are behind this (and other things) will soon be facing the consequences of their actions.

WWG1WGA
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Captain Steinbrenner wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:07 am ...the original Cuban sandwich, from Cuba, you know, not from anywhere else....
LOL!!! :lol:
You do realize that you cannot get a Cuban sandwich in an authentic Cuban restaurant in Cuba, right? The bread and the sandwich that we now know as "Cuban" were both invented in Tampa during the heyday of the cigar factories in the late 1800s. Cuban cigar workers from Key West were shipped up to Tampa when the production facilities moved to a city with better rail service. They were joined by Italian immigrants of which there were many commingled with the Cubans in the Ybor City area. The Cuban sandwich was invented to bring together the tastes of the working-class food of the two primary immigrant ethnic groups in Ybor City - Cubans and Italians. Keep in mind that then and now the Cuban families that have been in Tampa since then have had a much stronger Spanish cultural connection than most modern-day Cubans. Salami on a sandwich with your roast pork? Not much different than chorizo in Spanish bean soup or chorizo stuffed in a boliche. The complimentary tastes just work together!

The long loaves of bread baked with a palm leaf down the middle to keep them from splitting were carried around the neighborhood by delivery boys and stuck on nails hanging outside people's front doors every morning. You still can't get good proper Cuban bread baked in Miami. Oh, you can get bread like they make in Cuba for sure, but you can't get real Cuban bread like what was invented in Tampa. Completely different product when you make buttered & pressed Cuban toast out of it and try to dunk it in your cafe con leche.

Up until the 1970s you would have had a hard time finding many Cubans in Miami. My Dad grew up in Miami between the mid-1930s and the mid-1950s, and if they wanted good Cuban food back then they drove down to the Keys or stopped off in Ybor City when they were in Tampa.

Cuban sandwiches and the Cuban bread that they are made with are not originally from Cuba. There is literally no argument about that in the discussions that go back and forth between whether the Miami or Tampa style Cuban sandwich is better. But unless you can find evidence of a large population of working-class Cubans in Miami in the 1890s you're going to have to admit that the Cuban sandwich was invented in Tampa.

REMEMBER THE MAINE!!!|
Last edited by flcracker on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

ADulay wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:41 am I'm open to suggestions of serious Cuban sandwich perfection that I can hit in Tampa.
La Segunda. The best bread makes the best sandwiches.

Columbia. Amazingly authentic to the heritage given how widespread they have franchised their restaurant around the state.

West Tampa Sandwich Shop - brush up on your Spanish.

Brocato's. No need for these people to advertise - word of mouth will keep them busy until the end times.

Always pressed - never dressed. Putting lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a Cuban sandwich is an abomination unto the Lord.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

flcracker wrote:
Captain Steinbrenner wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:07 am ...the original Cuban sandwich, from Cuba, you know, not from anywhere else....
LOL!!! :lol:
You do realize that you cannot get a Cuban sandwich in an authentic Cuban restaurant in Cuba, right? The bread and the sandwich that we now know as "Cuban" were both invented in Tampa during the heyday of the cigar factories in the late 1800s. Cuban cigar workers from Key West were shipped up to Tampa when the production facilities moved to a city with better rail service. They were joined by Italian immigrants of which there were many commingled with the Cubans in the Ybor City area. The Cuban sandwich was invented to bring together the tastes of the working-class food of the two primary immigrant ethnic groups in Ybor City - Cubans and Italians. Keep in mind that then and now the Cuban families that have been in Tampa since then have had a much stronger Spanish cultural connection than most modern-day Cubans. Salami on a sandwich with your roast pork? Not much different than chorizo in Spanish bean soup or chorizo stuffed in a boliche. The complimentary tastes just work together!

The long loaves of bread baked with a palm leaf down the middle to keep them from splitting were carried around the neighborhood by delivery boys and stuck on nails hanging outside people's front doors every morning. You still can't get good proper Cuban bread baked in Miami. Oh, you can get bread like they make in Cuba for sure, but you can't get real Cuban bread like what was invented in Tampa. Completely different product when you make buttered & pressed Cuban toast out of it and try to dunk it in your cafe con leche.

Up until the 1970s you would have had a hard time finding many Cubans in Miami. My Dad grew up in Miami between the mid-1930s and the mid-1950s, and if they wanted good Cuban food back then they drove down to the Keys or stopped off in Ybor City when they were in Tampa.

Cuban sandwiches and the Cuban bread that they are made with are not originally from Cuba. There is literally no argument about that in the discussions that go back and forth between whether the Miami or Tampa style Cuban sandwich is better. But unless you can find evidence of a large population of working-class Cubans in Miami in the 1890s you're going to have to admit that the Cuban sandwich was invented in Tampa.

REMEMBER THE MAINE!!!|
You’re out of your mind.
Where did you hear that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

At La Tropicana you could order a Cuban with lettuce and tomato by asking for the "Especial".

Funny thing though, if you went in and sat down, you would get a pressed sandwich.

If you drove through or got one to go, you got a cold sandwich.

Didn't matter to me either way.