Shooting with my 11yo son

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Shooting with my 11yo son

Post by armedpolak »

My son and I and two other friends went out to a range this morning to test out a bunch of new guns; I had my AR15 in 300 Blackout and Ruger Mark IV both of which I purchased recently. Among many guns my friend brought there was a SBR Sig MPX with a silencer on it, but since he last shot it 4 years ago and never cleaned it, after the first half a mag it started jamming so bad we could not safely and reliably let my son shot it so I'm skipping that video. But lesson learned: don't run'em hard and put away wet :lol: or something like that :shock: a can of RemOil would have come a long way today but we were an hour away from home so that was a bummer :cry: Enjoy the show!

P.S. At this point I've been shooting with him since he was 7yo, we started in the summer of 2016 and he's loving it every time!

Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

What range is that?
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Chinerd00

Post by Chinerd00 »

Very nice!
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Great times dad! Enjoy the time with him!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:45 pm What range is that?
https://www.okshooting.com

I live in Coral Springs. Last night I drove up to my friend in WPB and we went there this morning from his house. Very nice, LARGE outdoor range.
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

He won't ever forget times like this.
Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog »

Great memories you are making right there.
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Awesome! Well now you can start going to wpb range as its has opened with reservations for right now. Alot closer then okshooting.
photohause

Post by photohause »

Great job Dad! Great trigger discipline....reenforce to him to gently squeeze, not yank & pull.
This is terrific! Thanks for sharing.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

photohause wrote:Great job Dad! Great trigger discipline....reenforce to him to gently squeeze, not yank & pull.
This is terrific! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! His trigger discipline has certainly got better since we started four years ago and I reinforce it every time. He recently started to reflexively move the finger up and away when not shooting. You can see that in the AR15 video when he thought he was out. He’s still little iffy about not pointing the gun sideways at the range that’s why I’m ALWAYS right next to him ready to step in should he start to point it sideways but honestly this time it was not an issue. My good friend who also has kids and is very safe with guns was observing us and later said that we both did well. Me in teaching and my son in staying safe :-)

I grew up without a father so it is super important to me to bond with my son and give him great memories :-) we shoot and fish together and it’s always fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk