Power Generator Recommendation

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Power Generator Recommendation

Post by armedpolak »

Please recommend a decent generator that would allow me to run 2 fridges and possibly few lamps and a portable AC unit.

I plan on eventually getting a BIG one and have it wired into my house but for now I want a smaller, less expensive option, say under $1000...

thanks!
AP
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Harbor Freight Predator 3500
Westinghouse 4500
WEN super quiet 3800
Briggs & Straton P4500

all are inverter generators, will run what you want, and are less than $1000
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
photohause

Post by photohause »

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROMAX-550 ... /301299049

I have one of these..awesome! Electric start, uses LP gas so I can safely store 6 tanks in the garage. If necessary I can use gasoline or natural gas. I keep it on trickle charge 24/7 and start it up every 10-12 weeks for five minutes.They have bigger one if you need it. Look no further!!!

Has an inverter
Last edited by photohause on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Go to Harbor Freight, there you can get a 8750 watt generator for less than $600 (there is a coupon for $550 out there right now).
By time you add in extras like extended warrenty, gas cans, wheel kit, battery and battery trickle charger, you are still well under $1000.

You can nearly run the entire house with a generator that size.
I'm lucky in that I have natural gas at my house; gas hot water heater, stove, oven, clothes dryer and house heater.
My place is 1860 sq ft, and is in Florida; still I only need around 4.6 kw to run the entire house including a four ton A/C unit.

Had a local electrician install the generator hook up port, and install the transfer switch to my breaker box.
Everything including the generator was under $2000.
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

I have a Westinghouse 3500 that i bought on Amazon for 300 bucks. It is very nice and quiet. Also have a Westinghouse 2500 inverter from Amazon also that was 600 bucks. Both are great and serve for different applications.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I found a deal on a 4000/3500 dual fuel with 30 amp plug at Home Depot.9

$269.00 No tax, Free shipping.

I cant review it yet cause its not here yet. Tuesday).
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

i would only use an inverter genny for any sensitive electronics, have
a friend who ruined his fridge with a standard genny
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Slartibartfast wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:16 pm i would only use an inverter genny for any sensitive electronics, have
a friend who ruined his fridge with a standard genny
I have a 1000 watt inverter that I keep around for computers, but I've run my frige off of my old Troy-Bilt during every power outage we had in the last10 years with no problem.

Your friend must have one of those newer smart refrigerators.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I got my commercial generator from Home Repo years ago when I found it on sale during the tax holiday many years ago.

The only thing I would say is:
  • Get one with an electric start. Pulling that cord sucks.
  • Make sure the last bit of gasoline you run through it is the Al Gor-ahole ethanol free. You can get it a Wawa.
  • Put Stabil in the gas when you fill them.
  • Like a safe, buy the biggest one you can afford. Otherwise, you will just be upgrading later.
  • Keep a spare battery and complete carburetor replacement on hand. They are cheap and if you discoverer you need it will be too late to get a replacement.
  • Get a bypass installed onto your main electrical panel, so you can select what you want to power without extension cords
  • Build a tent out of PVC and tarps so you can leave the generator outside running without fear of some rain killing it.
  • Maybe setup a camera so your looter neighbors won't come and wheel it off when you need it the most.
  • Make sure you have a bunch of gasoline on hand. Google "Race Fluid Containers" and you will find all the cheap gas cans you need without the Greenie BS.
I have mine sized big enough that it run an AC, Fridge, TV, Microwave. The only thing lacking is I get cold showers. Five gallons of gas runs it for about 24 hours. But if you are out of power for a week the lines at the gas stations are long, if you can find one with gas. Plus it get expensive if your power goes out for weeks!

Other than that, the only thing better is that if your house has natural gas and you get a Generac that can power the whole house!
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
joker223

Post by joker223 »

Flame Red wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:48 pm
[*]Build a tent out of PVC and tarps so you can leave the generator outside running without fear of some rain killing it.
house!
Great Idea!