Message from SHAEF

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
REDinFL

Message from SHAEF

Post by REDinFL »

From Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force

Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is will-trained, well-equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower
6 June 1944
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Good post, good reminder. Those boys back then had balls of steel whether they wanted to or not.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Wakko wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 pm Good post, good reminder. Those boys back then had balls of steel whether they wanted to or not.
That speaks to a statement made, though in the Pacific Theater of Operations, by Admiral Halsey. "There are no extraordinary men, just extraordinary challenges which ordinary men are forced by circumstances to meet."
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
ABOC

Post by ABOC »

Wakko wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 pm Good post, good reminder. Those boys back then had balls of steel whether they wanted to or not.
I guess that back in those days a lot more people lived outside of metropolitan areas.
People who grow up in a rural/farm setting are magnitudes tougher than city slickers.
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens" - Arnaud Amaury 1209
tector

Post by tector »

His handwritten failure letter, prepared just in case:

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

I, for one, will be ever be grateful to these men.

At the time, my parents and grandparents were in Normandy. My grandfather, on my mother’s side was a prisoner in Germany because he was, like many of his fellow soldiers, left behind after the Dunkerque battle.

When I am n France, I usually go every year pay my respect to the men buried at the Colleville/Montgomery cemetery.

I just have the utmost respect for ALL of them.