Background check..

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

Chinerd00 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:30 pm Finally got approved! ☺️
Congrats, too bad it took the govt 48 plus hours to approve the gun purchase of a law abiding citizen.
That's effing bullshit!
Last edited by Jeepsnguns on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jeepsnguns

Post by Jeepsnguns »

armedpolak wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:12 am The background check system has not put the slightest dent in crime statistics. Criminals still have guns and us law abiding citizens have yet another hoop to jump through.
I go round & round with my wife on the subject of gun purchasing/ownership, she's not too fond of firearms, and thinks they are too easy for criminals to legally purchase.
I tell her again & again, it's my belief criminals do not typically legally purchase their weapons at a gun shop, they would probably not pass a background check, or want the paper trail.
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

I have a Glock posted for sale. Last 3 contacts all explained why they didn't have a CCW.
Before this i did not believe in background checks. Now I am changing my mind.
Clearly with all 3 there were reasons they could not go thru a 4473 process.
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

armedpolak wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:12 am Now imagine if you had to go through the same process to exercise your 1st Amendment rights... 4 to 6 hours wait to be approved and 3 to 5 days cooling off period before you can take your BIBLE home from Barnes&Nobles... or Koran... or Ann Coulter's latest book... or D'Souza's latest film on DVD...

Why the F do we put up with this?!

Philosophically and in principle, in a country who's entire judicial system is based on "Innocent until proven guilty", the idea that one has to prove their innocence before BEING ALLOWED to practice their God given right to life (because ultimately 2nd Amendment is about protecting your right to life!) to an anonymous, unelected government worker on the other end of a phone line should send chills down any freedom loving American's back! Orwell could not in his wildest dreams come up with a more creepy infringement of liberties.

And then you have the morons, even on our side, who pretend that 2nd Amendment applies to militias only. OK genius, tell me then what the following sentence means: A well educated electorate, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear books, shall not be infringed. Go ahead I'll wait for you to perform your mental gymnastics and tell me that this only applies to people with English Majors who have passed reading and writing test, and have never in the past written a nasty opinion essay. Still waiting...

But we were sold this snake oil to keep soccer moms happy in what was it, 1994? The background check system has not put the slightest dent in crime statistics. Criminals still have guns and us law abiding citizens have yet another hoop to jump through. And given how it's centralized and computerized a malicious political actor can pull the plug on it and effectively shut down and prevent 300+ million people from obtaining new weapons.

Anyone who still thinks a background check is a good idea is either ignorant or evil. Luckily we can still exchange private property for money with other residents of Florida... aka private gun sales are not regulated.

:evil:

RANT OVER
Well said AP!
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

I got lucky today. Went to Florida Gun Exchange today.
When I walked in the door, there were signs saying that
background checks were taking up to 12 hours to complete.
Mine came back in less than a minute.
Waited longer to pay for it.
Total time in and back out to my vehicle- 30 minutes.
Last edited by Skeezix on Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Skeezix wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:23 pm I got lucky today. Went to Florida Gun Exchange today.
When I walked in the door, there where signs saying that
As it should be. GARY.
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

N4KVE wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:45 pm
Skeezix wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:23 pm I got lucky today. Went to Florida Gun Exchange today.
When I walked in the door, there where signs saying that
As it should be. GARY.
Nope, should be walk in show permit, walk out. No reason for bgc as criminals don't buy that way anyway.

If you are ok giving up your rights fine but it is not "As it should be"

Just my humble opinion
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

n0rlf wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:50 pm
Nope, should be walk in show permit, walk out. No reason for bgc as criminals don't buy that way anyway.

Just my humble opinion

CCW permits are valid for 7 years, a buyer could have been convicted of a
felony or red flagged in that time and no longer able to own a gun.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

Slartibartfast wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:08 pm
n0rlf wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Just my humble opinion

CCW permits are valid for 7 years, a buyer could have been convicted of a
felony or red flagged in that time and no longer able to own a gun.
True. So we should give up our rights because someone else "might" be s convicted feeling? Nope. I would rather keep my rights
Jeepsnguns

Post by Jeepsnguns »

n0rlf wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:50 pm Nope, should be walk in show permit, walk out. No reason for bgc as criminals don't buy that way anyway.

Just my humble opinion
I agree with you, It might be naive of me as a CWP holder to expect most CWP holders are on the up & up.
Considering the background check required to be issued a CWP I also feel that should be sufficient to purchase a fire arm on the spot.
I would be curious to know what percentage of CWP holders end up on the wrong side of the law, I would be willing to bet, not many.