Where do you guys get decent 5 gallon gas cans?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Big bore lover wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:39 am Look up Scepter Plastic 20L Fuel Cans. They can be found used on ebay at times as well as at some 4x4 shops around the country. The ones I have are almost 20 years old and have not leaked once in all the time I have used/had them. That includes sitting full in the garage for prep of hurricanes as well as hard use when four wheeling in the mountains of TN/GA/NC. They are military tough and hold up. Don't let the prices scare you off unless you think keeping fuel on something that will leak is ok.
If you have any friends in Canada they can buy them a hell of a lot cheaper than we can and shipping is not near as high as one may think.

Good luck in your search.
Wow, I now see the history of this Cluster F*ck. Yet another Obomination Image evil doings. Those "pre-ban" Scepter military Jerry fuel cans are more expensive than Full Auto weapons - well almost. Seems from the survivalist threads that you can still buy them reasonably priced in Canada, but they will only ship them to Canada addresses - thanks EPA. Guess if I lived in Yankeeville near the Canada boarder, I would cross the boarder and smuggle a semi load of them and make enough $ to finally retire. I am surprised the drug cartel's have not figured out this is a lucrative business!

The wife found one of my 15 year old pre-ban cans sitting behind a bush. It looks pretty rough from sitting outside for 15 years but if it holds I'm going to fill it up and use it. No way I would throw it in the trash now.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Big bore lover

Post by Big bore lover »

Glad you caught on to how valuable they are. Happily I have a nephew in Mass that can drive north a couple of hours for time in the woods and can drive back to the US with 5 of those used cans in his truck without any questions being asked,,,,he can then ship them to me for 8 bucks per can. But whom am I to say such a thing. My main info on them is if you want something that will last a long long long damn time, they are great. The two I have I bought in Tampa but yep, it was years back. Good luck in your search for something worthwhile.
Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.
chester field

Post by chester field »

Following.
The Midwest cans are pure junk (the poly cans at Harbor Freight), and not just because of the California pour spouts. I bought two of them and the cap rings that hold the spout/cap in place split on both cans in under a year. Midwest has never responded to inquiries about this, but will sell you a replacement ring (exact same) for $10 (same price as an entire replacement spout and ring) that will last just as long as the original. So I figured, why not just buy a solid cap because I transfer most of the fuel I put in cans anyway, but one of the cans is leaking now at the bottom on the seam. Looking at reviews where this brand is sold, they are common enough problems to stay away from Midwest. I have cans I bought at Kmart 20 years ago that are still dependable, but unfortunately I cannot find a brand name on them anywhere and I have 3 sizes of those ones.
Common Sense... so rare it's like a super power
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

macattack321 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:17 pm I gave up on messing with cans and just bought a cheap liquid transfer pump.

https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-o ... 63847.html
I got this also and it works very good.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Thanks okie
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
neonnight34609

Post by neonnight34609 »

these are the best cans i ever used. everyone at the track uses them also https://www.ruralking.com/5-gallon-poly ... iner-white
Common sense isn't so common these days
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

neonnight34609 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:30 pm these are the best cans i ever used. everyone at the track uses them also https://www.ruralking.com/5-gallon-poly ... iner-white
yeah was gonna recommend those as well

anyone want 5 gals of 1 year old gas with NO stabalizer in a Free gas can, let me know, don't have a way to spill ( ahem ) dispose of it and the land fill wants $ 30 for haz waste :roll:
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

neonnight34609 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:30 pm these are the best cans i ever used. everyone at the track uses them also https://www.ruralking.com/5-gallon-poly ... iner-white
Too bad the closest Rural King is more than an hour's drive from me.

But thank you for turning me on to the super secret code word! Instead of googling for 5 gallon gas or fuel can, jerry cans or whatever, google 5 gallon racing fluid container! Lots of choices available. They are meant for race gas. Evidently the Greenie Nazi's regulation do not apply to motor sports! They are cheap and plentiful! And they don't have those funky sh1t nozzles and valve crap.

Get them before they are out lawed!

I found them for $25 delivered on fleabay, even in red!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
joker223

Post by joker223 »

A friend of mine always uses VP racing cans. He loves them---but I couldn't bring myself to spend over $30 on a gas can. He told me mine will split and I'll end up spending more, which probably is true.

***I just went and looked online, since I probably need to buy 2 myself--- plenty of complaints about the VP cans. Well, I may try and find some metal ones....
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

i have a few LC2 5 gal jugs and they are great

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/part ... lity-jug-p

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !