HNR Gunworks

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Big_mike

HNR Gunworks

Post by Big_mike »

Any chance Ross is a member?

I called today to ask about the business, the smith's experience, and the shops capabilities and the snotty gal that answered the phone wasn't having any of it. She was completely disinterested in talking to me and had no patience to field a question. Instead telling me I should drive 2 hours to get answers in person.

I dropped the call with her and looked up the owners name, called back and asked when he might be available. Got a call back from him a few minutes later. He was just as arrogant as the as the broad answering the phone.

This fella couldn't give two shits about a prospective customer, he must be rolling in the dough.

Anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation for a skilled pistol smith to work on a first year production 3 screw super black hawk and a few other gems i inherited recently.

Ross if you are a member here, I look forward to seeing you out of business, good luck stud.
Last edited by Big_mike on Wed May 13, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

I gotta get ahold of him in the near future. Was going to have to him cut and thread a HK G3 barrel for my next project. Sounds like he's busy
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

They're kind of snooty, and this is a bad time to call any gun shop. That said, try Gunstock and Barrel, right up the road from HNR. Rentprop1 here, I believe. Though he's swamped too.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

better2have&notneed

Post by better2have&notneed »

I avoided HNR for the longest because a buddy said they were kinda sketchy, and rentprop1 is my gunsmith anyways.
I stumbled across an old Smith and Wesson semi auto I've been on the lookout for that HNR had on GB for half of what they normally sell for, so I stopped in and ended up getting a smoking deal on four used guns. The guy doing my sale and background check wasn't very knowledgeable, and some lady there did have quite a crappy attitude (not with me) in general. I'd stop in again to check out the used guns, but not for anything else.
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

I knew Mark opened a shop but didn't realize he was doing full-service work. I thought it was just finishing, cleaning, sighting, type stuff.

I've been away from the board for a bit, ill have to give him a shout.

I have a loose barrel on a cherished super black hawk and I have a few other guns I need cleaned, serviced, and bluing done on.

Hopefully Rent has the bandwidth.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Welcome back

Ross at HNR is a good guy, I can get in touch with him if you still wanna rant.
I'm not going to make an apology for another gun shop but if you had called my shop anytime within the last month or so, wanting me to dance like a monkey for your work, Id probably hung up on you.....I direct people to the FAQ on my website, if they had looked there first, it might have answered the 15 basic noob questions that I lost time answering.......j/k.....but seriously, this current virus pandemic has brought idiots out of the woodwork a lot of first-time gun buyers and a lot of people out running around during the stay home order that didn't need to be out and about....
we tried to follow the basic safety protocols and went to appointment only but I still had no less than 12 to 15 dumbass people poking their head in the door every day asking a question about a screw or stockwork or optics cut on a G2🙄.......or some kind of work that did not need to be addressed ....we kindly ask them to come back sometime in June just to be on the safe side.

My opinion pay whatever it costs and send it back to Ruger custom shop if they are accepting work, most arent ...
Also last time we tried to blue a Ruger the frame and backstrap came out diff colors because its different steel...ended up having to cerakote it.

Hope it helps, be patient there are no gunsmith emergencies and nothing worth discussion more than a couple minuets...We're all busy and trying to still make a living.... if you've never been on the other side of the counter and a gunshop it's a real eye-opening experience you lose all faith in humanity especially your fellow 2A Brothers....its not your average, the customer is always right, service position.....I fire problem customers all the time
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

rentprop1 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 pm if you've never been on the other side of the counter and a gunshop it's a real eye-opening experience you lose all faith in humanity especially your fellow 2A Brothers.
LOL. I agree 1000%. Even worse at gun shows when possibly 5000 people may walk by me. It seems most of the recent purchasers were people who would normally never own a gun, but felt the sky was falling. GARY.
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

rentprop1 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 pm Welcome back
Thanks, glad to hear you're doing well!

No worries on the Ruger, sending it to Dave Clements, it'll be a few months before I get it back but know that's to be expected.

I want the barrel removed and reblued on grandads pistol, I never even got to that point when talking to HNR.

I have a few other of his I'd like worked on as well, they weren't stored well once he passed.

I'll have to stop by to see yout shop once all this craziness is over. I'll see if I can think of something dumb to ask :D