Live Oak area

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Chris6424

Post by Chris6424 »

if you're buying on the Suwanee River make sure it's high and dry, above the historic 100 year flood line. I've seen the river a mile wide when it's in flood state. Don't plan on working in Live Oak. It's quite cheap to live there, but there are no jobs.
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

Sweep wrote:Looking at buying 2 acres on the river and retiring how’s the local area any gun ranges near there
In that area, you live on the range. :)

Fort White or down to Gainesville.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dave P

Post by Dave P »

And be advised that Valdosta dumps raw sewage into the river every so often. It flows down the withalacoochee and mixes with the Suwannee River, west of Live Oak.

Takes a few weeks before it is all flushed out.
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

"In that area, you live on the range. :)"

Home, home on the range ...
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Dave P wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:26 am And be advised that Valdosta dumps raw sewage into the river every so often. It flows down the withalacoochee and mixes with the Suwannee River, west of Live Oak.

Takes a few weeks before it is all flushed out.
The Withlacoochee of the North enters the Suwannee West of Live Oak more than 20 river miles downstream of where Hwy 129 crosses the Suwannee north of Live Oak. The Suwannee makes a big arc north of Live Oak. As long as you're upstream from Suwannee River State Park near US 90 you should be fine.

Be aware that if you're on a well, your water may go brown when the river floods.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

I have 10 acres near O'Brien, roughly halfway between Live Oak and Branford, owned it since 1992. I go there a couple of times a year.

I think there is a range somewhere nowadays, But all you need a a berm, and you're good to go. Neighbors expect gunshots. I have an Indian/British/American guy next door, and he showed up waving a white flag last time we were shooting up there.

The New Years after Trump was elected, he was skyping with his sister in London when we started shooting. His sister asked him what was going on and he told her there was a revolution or some crap going on. Good old Zaph. I can't pronounce or spell the rest of his name.

Branford is an awesome little town. I keep saying I'll retire at the 10 acres, but if I'm too old, I might settle in that town. There's a Hardee's in a gas station that sells ammo and feed corn. There's an overpriced hardware store that sells almost anything you would ever need, and an underpriced pawn shop that sells everything else. And there's Sisters Cafe that has a buffet with the most friendly, polite people in FL on a Sunday, and has the best thing to eat if you've had nothing but camp food all week.