Solvent Traps... a wink wink nod nod silencers?!?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

Villafuego wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:33 pm Constructive possession is a real thing as it applies to AOW's, SBR's, SBS's, DD's, and MG's.
If you have a combination of parts that can be only be assembled into one of the above configurations, then constructive possession applies.

Silencers are a different story in that any single silencer component is an NFA item.....each baffle, tube, cap, etc....

The reason the "Wish" monocore "solvent traps" are getting seized, is that it doesn't matter if the endcap is drilled or not....the monocore is complete/functional....so by law, that single part is an (unregistered) NFA item.

All of the solvent trap manufacturers that have been shutdown had one thing in common....they demonstrated openly how their products were essentially "DIY" suppressor kits....

I wouldn't order the first component until I had an approved F1 in hand.....nor would I order a complete "kit" from a single manufacturer....

People who think ATF won't consider their "solvent trap" a suppressor only because the endcap isn't drilled might be in for a big surprise....slide over to forfeiture.gov and look at the list of how many of these things are picked up regularly.

I remember going to gun shows in the '80's when you could buy all the internals for MAC/RPB/Sionics suppressors at one table, and the tubes about 4 tables down....

That all ended in '86.....and as much as I like to see a flourishing F1 suppressor community/industry, I'm still baffled how the suppliers are allowed to stay in business

Baffled
Does the above concern apply to the kits where you have to drill out each of the baffles? I.E. a non mono core kit? I have never purchased or built one but might consider it IF it is 100% legal to purchase, complete the F1 process, receive the approved F1 and then drill out and have engraved. I have ZERO interest in getting even remotely sideways w/ the ATF or any law enforcement branch for that matter. In the past, when doing a SBR, I don't even order the barrel (or stock) until the process has been successfully completed and approved. Never even considered the F1 of a homemade suppressor until reading this thread and not interested if it can not be done legally.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

armedpolak wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:47 pm But it gets better: https://www.preppersdiscount.com/store/ ... r-Kit.html

This is a straight machine gun. How this is not constructive possession baffles me...
" For those customers who currently own an AUTHORIZED AND FULLY REGISTERED DIAS (Drop In Auto Sear) this 8 piece kit will allow you to repair any of your broken pieces on your auto sear. "
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

neverenoughguns wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:21 pm
Villafuego wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:33 pm Constructive possession is a real thing as it applies to AOW's, SBR's, SBS's, DD's, and MG's.
If you have a combination of parts that can be only be assembled into one of the above configurations, then constructive possession applies.

Silencers are a different story in that any single silencer component is an NFA item.....each baffle, tube, cap, etc....

The reason the "Wish" monocore "solvent traps" are getting seized, is that it doesn't matter if the endcap is drilled or not....the monocore is complete/functional....so by law, that single part is an (unregistered) NFA item.

All of the solvent trap manufacturers that have been shutdown had one thing in common....they demonstrated openly how their products were essentially "DIY" suppressor kits....

I wouldn't order the first component until I had an approved F1 in hand.....nor would I order a complete "kit" from a single manufacturer....

People who think ATF won't consider their "solvent trap" a suppressor only because the endcap isn't drilled might be in for a big surprise....slide over to forfeiture.gov and look at the list of how many of these things are picked up regularly.

I remember going to gun shows in the '80's when you could buy all the internals for MAC/RPB/Sionics suppressors at one table, and the tubes about 4 tables down....

That all ended in '86.....and as much as I like to see a flourishing F1 suppressor community/industry, I'm still baffled how the suppliers are allowed to stay in business

Baffled
Does the above concern apply to the kits where you have to drill out each of the baffles? I.E. a non mono core kit? I have never purchased or built one but might consider it IF it is 100% legal to purchase, complete the F1 process, receive the approved F1 and then drill out and have engraved. I have ZERO interest in getting even remotely sideways w/ the ATF or any law enforcement branch for that matter. In the past, when doing a SBR, I don't even order the barrel (or stock) until the process has been successfully completed and approved. Never even considered the F1 of a homemade suppressor until reading this thread and not interested if it can not be done legally.
If you are that concerned, File the Form 1 first and get an approval and then order the kit. Most of the kits out there have the length measurements there which is all you need for the form 1. I have been looking at a couple of the kits out there and a few seem to be very nicely done with minimal work needed once the form 1 is approved. QuietBore is one that I have my eyes on. You do need to drill all the individual baffles, and the endcaps to finish it. I will probably do one of their 9mm kits here soon. The big plus is the short wait time when the Form 1 is filed electronically. Most get them back in less than 30 days, some a lot faster than that. Cost wise you are cheaper by about half for a decent manufactured suppressor.

Believe me, there are MANY other things out there that the BATF and local law enforcement are focused on besides solvent trap kits. As long as you do not drill anything, you are well within the law. Hell, I have met, attended classes with, and had dinner with very high ranking ATF agents and admin, surprisngly a lot of the guys in the Tech branch that actually review all this stuff are pretty hardcore gun guys. The boss (*and by that I mean the actual head of the ATF) doesnt like all the "braces" out there, but truthfully there is nothing they can do unless the law is changed.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:27 pm
armedpolak wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:47 pm But it gets better: https://www.preppersdiscount.com/store/ ... r-Kit.html

This is a straight machine gun. How this is not constructive possession baffles me...
" For those customers who currently own an AUTHORIZED AND FULLY REGISTERED DIAS (Drop In Auto Sear) this 8 piece kit will allow you to repair any of your broken pieces on your auto sear. "
"This item can also be purchased with the intention of never producing but merely as a conversational or novelty display piece only."
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

amheck wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:22 pm Although the 30 day form1 wait is super tempting over the Form4 process.
in the last 10 days I've heard from two separate gun store owners that Individual Form 4 filed for a silencer takes about 2 months right now, in worse case 3 months...
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

armedpolak wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:52 pm
"This item can also be purchased with the intention of never producing but merely as a conversational or novelty display piece only."
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Taco

Post by Taco »

amheck

Post by amheck »

armedpolak wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm
amheck wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:22 pm Although the 30 day form1 wait is super tempting over the Form4 process.
in the last 10 days I've heard from two separate gun store owners that Individual Form 4 filed for a silencer takes about 2 months right now, in worse case 3 months...
Must be nice. Im still trying to get an Obsidian 9 i bought in 2018. Dealer never received the stamp and the certified copy request is now going on 2 months. ATF keeps saying its sent but it never arrives. Ugh